2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

damn posilok. button/cable stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default damn posilok. button/cable stuck.

so i got in a spot the other day that looked bad. thought i might actually need 4wd. shifted the t-case. ok. pulled on the posilok. wouldn't budge. pushed, pulled, cussed. pushed, cussed, pulled, cussed. nothing. crap.

so christmas afternoon, everybodys gone, nowhere i've got to go. good time to work on the truck. put it up on 4 jack stands. pushed, pulled, cussed. damn cable won't budge. so i take the whole damn posilok out - unbolt the button bracket at the dash. open up CAD. remove e-clips, remove shift fork, unscrew cable. cut all the wire ties.

hmmmm. why is the posilok cable laying on the exhaust manifold. that's not where its supposed to be. plastic outer coating melted, but the wound steel cable is indestructible.

squirt wd40 in both ends of the cable for about an hour. push, pull, cuss. push, pull, cuss. it finally breaks loose.

inspect axle ends, coupler, shift fork. operate it by hand. all is well.

put the whole damn thing back together again. route the cable outside the frame this time. wire tire it all down. test. seems fixed.

while checking things out - i've got a bad wheel bearing.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:35 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch...I melted a shifter cable from a BXM cable shifter to a header once a long time ago, total PITA.
I'd suppliment that wd-40 with a good dousing of liguid grafite(sp). Hard stuff to find but works wonders.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

The only thing that you might be wary of is the greese and crap freezing in the cable. We had this problem with our throttle cables on our aircraft. Same concept though, steel cable with a plastic shielding. I would repair the shielding that melted off to keep corrosion, mud, etc. out of the cable. Heat shrink works great for this. Another fix would to be to go get a bunch of steel cable clamps or hose clamps and use those to route your cable instead of zip ties.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
divetruck
Professional

Run it between the break lines and the frame.

Quick Reply: damn posilok. button/cable stuck.