2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

spun a bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy spun a bearing?

i got the guys down a the local shop to look at my truck. they told me it was 4 quarts over full. ok what ever, that was me being completly stupid not thinking. but he said it was the thickness of gear oil. he drained it, said there were shavings in the oil. ok. and he said that caused me to spin a bearing possibly two or three... my question is, if i was that over full, it wouldnt do that, it would either blow something else or just straight hydrolock, wouldnt it? he said it continues to smoke, even at idle. which i know it doesnt cause i DROVE the truck onto the tow truck and it didnt smoke then. and it runs fine. what else could i have blown? and i know the oil pump is probably gone, and that was the cause of the knock in the first place....

on another note, i am going to be doing all the rebuild myself because the guy wanted rediculous amounts of money to do it for me ( either rebuild or replace) wanted almost 2 grand to do just the motor, and then another 2 grand to do just the trans rebuild

Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$2,000 to rebuild the engine and $2,000 for a transmission rebuild and you're whining that he's charging too much? That's a deal!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok i dont know where your from, i can and will be getting a trans with bigger bands and built for offroad, with 6 month warrentee for 950 shipped to my door. so that guy was crazy, and the motor, i can see the 2,000, but i am going to do myself for about 1500. saving money is all about knowledge. and i can do this. and my rebuild will be making my 5.2 into the 6.4 stroker i want. so yea. i am going to whine about that

Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever floats your boat

You want to save money but you're building a 6.4L Stroker

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea i can get the 6.4 stroker (390) for about 1350, and thats balanced with free shipping. but that is if i spun a bearing at all. i will do my own detective work when i get it back later today. but yea, a normal rebuild kit for my engine is right around 2,000, so it is alittle cheaper.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's going to be pretty sweet when you're done. Plus you'll have all of the fun of rebuilding the engine. I have yet to do that but someday I'll do it.

Have fun and good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea, i will have it by the end of next year, cause i want to get the good trans in ti, the good motor, and then i want to see if i cant bolt a really good transfer case also. and then i will work on my axles, but it will be a very nice truck when im done. but for right now. new word o pass. i am not putting the 6.4 in it unless it needs it. i will be rebuilding as needed to go to stock. and then my dad is going to send me or get me (whatever) a set of the old police package diplomat heads with 202 valves and roller rockers to put on to this motor. see if i like that first. and then build from there.

i have yet to rebuild a motor. it will be a good learning time. but it shouldnt be to hard, i have assembled a full race motor a few times so it isnt to much differant... and i hope ya get the experiance of a rebuild or even a full motor build up someday. it is awesome to here her rumble for the first time. big pressure when its a bet.

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 01-07-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds bad ***. Make sure you take plenty of pics... I get the feeling a rebuild is not that far off in my future. Pulled the air filter today and half of it was soaked in oil Makes me think that I have some cylinder rings going bad.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea i would say it is just about time for a rebuild for ya, its not really that expensive, for what it is i mean. i took a buddies word and he siad it wold be cheaper to just get the strocker kit.. wrong, the rebuild kit for the 5.2 is right around 7 to 800 bucks, and that coms with new timing, oil pump and entire bottom end. so its not that bad. but the heads is where i am going to make power, just like everyone else has to do to get any kind of power from these engines

Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh im not too concerned with making power, but I would like a little more than I have now. I was not impressed when a toyota prius smoked my *** the other day, but I do realize that my truck is my daily driver. I found out the hard way, dont mess with your daily driver. Its nice, but is a major pia too.

Quick Reply: spun a bearing?