2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auto trans problems please help..........

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
t4twilliams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trans problems please help..........

I have a '97 ram 1500 4X4 5.9L with auto trans. The problem is with trans. It all started a couple of weeks ago. After setting parked for a long weekend . It started out shifting kinda weird and then when it was in OD it just went to a freewheel state. Stopped checked fluid and was good and then took off again and worked fine. and did so for a cpl days. but now everyonce in awhile it will do it again, it just will be going along just fine and then go to freewheel , looses all but still has great reverse and low gear. And now that it has done it more often I noticed that if I stop put in reverse and then take off again it will doo fine for about 5-6 miles and then will have to stop and reverse again and will work fine again. not throwing any codes. It just seems to go to neutral / freewheels but still have low if I manual shift it to low gear. when it freewheels and I take foot of throttle it goes back to idle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Is it a Valve Body malfunction. and like I said it doesnt do it all the time . one day i can get in it and make 100 mile round trip and no problems but the next time I drive it it wont go but about 5 miles before acting up. Not real sure where to start other than what ive allready done change fluid and filter and adjust bands.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

MonteC is the guy you want to talk to. Sounds similar to what my 1995 Dakota used to do, and my mechanic at the time told me it was a sticky valve.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

He might say change the Gov. and TC solenoids while you are in there changing the filter and fluid. But somehow by the description I don't think his answer isn't going to be good news.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the fliud looks ok and smell ok. Then i would drop the valvebody, crack it open, go through it and clean it up. I would also replace the governor pressure solenoid and sensor.

If the fluid was nasty smelling and the pan was dirty, then its time for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Auto trans problems please help..........