2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE repeated governor falure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE repeated governor falure

2002 2500 5.9 gas, 4x4.

about two years ago i replaced the governor sensor and solonoid to fix a problem.
almost one year later the TC lockup failed and into the dealership it went, i know everyone there as i worked there as a lot boy for 3 years while in highschool.
They suggested a new converter and tranny rebuild as the truck had 150,000KM (Im Canadian), so they cut me a deal, $1600 out the door. 1 year warranty.
Now (one year after the rebuild) the truck is failing to return to 1st gear when at a stop (starting in 2nd), my warranty is expired on the 22nd of January, the code says the governor is at fault again, how often do these things fail? and im pretty sure they dont fail for no reason.
Im booked at the dealership for a diagnosis on monday which makes me cringe because i do all my own work on all my cars except for auto transmissions and custom exhaust.
So on to the question. When they take my $100 for diagnosing that it has nothing to do with the rebuild and that it only needs new sensors, what do i do? take it home and do the work myself like i did the last time the sensors went, and potentially find tranny parts floating in the fluid, or do i bite my lip and pay more money to let them dig in and potentially find nothing? warrantys are good and bad, lol.

Quick Reply: 46RE repeated governor falure