2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, keep in mind that the speaker that you hear in the store will not sound the same when you get it home and install it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 AM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am runnig a Clarion setup on my truck with a small aamp hooked up, it seems to be really clear but one of my speakers only works when I am at about half volume, but that is just a wiring problem AFAIK.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 AM
ben2080

I have had some Pioneer speakers before and I didn't mind them but they didn't blow me away. Personally, I like the infinity component setup i had in my old car. The bass didn't distort the high end at all and if you plan ahead you can make the tweeter look like a stock setup.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ben2080
I have had some Pioneer speakers before and I didn't mind them but they didn't blow me away. Personally, I like the infinity component setup i had in my old car. The bass didn't distort the high end at all and if you plan ahead you can make the tweeter look like a stock setup.
I think that Infinity is the only way to go but that is just my opinion. And, guess what everyone has one; give it a few minutes and there will be a reply saying infinity is junk.
Just get what you want on your speakers and you will be alright....

Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 AM
ophidia
Captain

Does anyone know what the max mounting depth is? I checked Crutchfield's database and it said you had to use 5 1/4's and nothing about mounting depth.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Relex
Veteran

Well once I found out how this guy ships, I'm going to order these. Hopefully the are better than my factor speakers but I guess two working speakers will be better than what I have right now.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 6.5" Polk DB Coaxials up front so I know they fit. I got them from Crutchfield and used their adapter brackets to convert it from a 6x9 hole to a 6.5" hole. I later moved them to the rear and put some 6.5" Polk DB components up front and put them all on a Alpine amp. Crutchfield said they wouldn't fit but they did. However, it was close I think on the coaxials the tweeters may have hit the door panel. Not positive though. It still fit fine and worked okay. I wanted the Momo's but I figured if these were tight those probably wouldn't fit.

I like Polk, Infinity, and Alpine for car audio stuff so I'd check those brands out.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW they aren't hard to install just be careful pulling the door panel off as sometimes they break where they hold the clips on. Mine on each side is missing a few clips as the piece that holds them on the door panel broke. However, the door panel is still tight so I don't worry about it. This was on the 3rd time removing it. Just be careful and you should be fine.

A buddy that used to work at a Dodge dealer told me that they had this happen all the time and would just put it back together as it usually kept the door panel tight and that the customer wouldn't usually know. That bugged me. At least by doing it myself I know I broke it.

Just be careful with it and maybe get one of the panel popper tools so you don't put extra stress by pulling on the door panel. The actual changing of the speakers is really easy.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
punkrguy
Professional

Ive ran alot of different systems in my life and i personally like the infinity and polk (i know that isnt one you had mentioned) set ups for the smaller component speakers. Like everyone else has said, you need to go to Circuit, Best Buy or any other audio place and see what sounds good to you. I personally dont like Kenwood, but once again thats my opinion.

Quick Reply: New Speakers