2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen transmissions--are they that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 PM
WaynesWorld
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one tell if you have a Messican truck or USA truck?

Josh- Those wheels/tires are bad ***

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgefool360ci
... Are the trannys that bad?
yes..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WaynesWorld
How does one tell if you have a Messican truck or USA truck?

Josh- Those wheels/tires are bad ***
Step 1: Open the driver's door
Step 2: Read the tag on the door jamb

Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I have a Messican truck and am happy as hell with it. I've read here that the USA built Dodge trucks are actually worse quality and reliability.
That is what i'm assuming. Most of the trucks I see with the cracked dashes are the Michigan trucks. My truck is an El Burrito truck and has been a really great truck. I have minimal rust issues(only surface on rockers), solid dash, tranny went out at 130,000 miles.......BlaBla. And my truck was an abused, smoked-in, work truck before I bought it.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dblj16380
A saying that I read a little while ago on here went something like "There are two types of dodge trucks, ones that have had their transmission rebuilt, or ones that will soon need it".
haha, i said that, and i meant it.

Originally Posted by Dodgefool360ci
are the trannys that bad?
they are below average. the number of sad posts on this and other forums is overwhelmingly about transmissions. some people can handle the cost of the repair, but a lot of people spend all their money on the truck, and then have to borrow more money to fix the f***ing transmission. once rebuilt with quality parts and quality work, they are fine. but, do not assume that every rebuild is a quality rebuild. the number of sad posts from people complaining about their alleged rebuild is neck and neck with original complaints. a lot of shops just put in as little as possible and hope for the best and they get ahead by doing this. then most customers just get pissed off and trade the truck when they encounter more problems, and wish they'd never spent more money on a repair attempt.

congrats to dblj and his cousin on rebuilding/repairing it themselves.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by 07gixxer600
I know I was so mad that I dident know how to resize it... im used to windows XP and i downloaded a powertoy for it that I could right click a image and resize it but I cant get that for this computer that runs vista...

I will resize it soon though... thanks for the complements.
I love those rims! And I'm jealous of your seemingly flawless paint. Mine is fading all over the dang truck. Here's mine:

Sorry for the thread hijack. You may have it back now.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the vin starts with w it's a mexican

Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

Actually there really aren't a lot of special tools needed unless you want to use a shop press to release the overdrive section.

***MAJOR TIP***
One major piece of advice is to be very clean about it and very thorough and patient. You would hate to have to take your trans back out just because you rushed a little and forgot to put a seal in or something else stupid.

Definitely check around for the rebuild kits though. AutoZone wanted like 250 for the kit and I got a better one from a nearby trans supply place for 105. The shift kit was only 15. Also get a manual to have next to you, it will be your best friend.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that transmissions seem to fail at what appears to be an early death. But I would ask how often the fluid and filter is changed and the bands adjusted. Also, do you use the overdrive off switch when towing. Also are you using only Mopar trans fluid.

Last edited by Parts/Service; 01-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dblj16380
Actually there really aren't a lot of special tools needed unless you want to use a shop press to release the overdrive section.

***MAJOR TIP***
One major piece of advice is to be very clean about it and very thorough and patient. You would hate to have to take your trans back out just because you rushed a little and forgot to put a seal in or something else stupid.

Definitely check around for the rebuild kits though. AutoZone wanted like 250 for the kit and I got a better one from a nearby trans supply place for 105. The shift kit was only 15. Also get a manual to have next to you, it will be your best friend.
I've learned that when it comes to automatic transmissions, one can never be too clean, and the parts cannot have too much oil on them.

Where did you buy said manual? There are a lot of places out there that advertise rebuild kits. It's hard to tell what all is needed.