2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1740 Should I worry? :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009 | 12:16 AM
Kaldir
|
Veteran
Default P1740 Should I worry? :(

Okay, I have had this truck for prolly a month now, and I do love it. But the other day check engine light came on, I had it checked and it was the p1740 code, TCC / OD Solenoid. The thing is, my tranny is fine. It doesn't shift rough, it doesn't run rough. When I am doing 65ish, it is in O/D at around 1700 RPM's depending on hills and wind. No wind, no hill, 1700 using Cruse Control. I cleared the code on Wedsday, and just tonight (Friday) the check engine light came back on. I don't have a reader, so I have to wait till tomarrow to see if its the same code (friend has one). But I am sure it will be. Thing is, should I worry about it? Like I said I don't see any thing wrong with the Tranny, shifts just fine, when not really on the gas, doesnt rev to high before shifting. Every thing seems normal. Only thing I can think of is this cold weather is messing with senors. Anyone have that happen before? Its about 0 outside, and I know thats not that cold for some of you, but here in NY that is cold. Any suggestions? If this code pop's up one more time, I will be bring it back to the dealer, I am still under his 60 day warrenty.

Old 01-17-2009 | 12:24 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

If its under warranty I wouldnt even question bringing it back to the dealer. If something is wrong, get it fixed. There is no reason not to.

Old 01-17-2009 | 12:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

if you have a warranty take it back immediately. do not clear the code. ask nice to have it fixed, but don't take any bull. no, its not supposed to be that way. no, their not all that way. no, that's not just how some of them are. get a repair receipt, in writing and save it.

Old 01-17-2009 | 09:37 AM
lv360ram
Captain

This problem can be difficult to fix because there are multiple issues to diagnose. Someday I will do a complete writeup about it. Even if some repair is done and the code reset it may take a week for the code to return depending on how much you drive AND the driving conditions. So fixing this may take time past your warranty period.
Be very persistant about getting it fixed.

Old 01-17-2009 | 09:42 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

That code popped up on my truck and coupled with my burned up TC I went and got a
loan for a new transmission. It may seen a little paranoid but I don't trust these trannys
with my driving style. I think you should definately get it checked out.

Old 01-17-2009 | 11:12 AM
VA5326

I have had my truck since it came off the line in December of 1999 and have never had one problem with it until now. I had the same code pop up on my emissions test Monday and as a result it failed (I had one free retest). I went home and reset it the next day and it passed. I know that is a short term solution. I posted a similar thread earlier this week and no one wanted to lend a hand or whatever (gee thanks vets on this board). So I called one of my dad's lifelong friends 1000 miles away who has been a Dodge mechanic for over thirty years at a dealership. He told me if the truck isn't running rough yet, get a tranny flush w/ ATF-4 and start saving money or get your loan documents ready because one day it will start running rough and the day it does take it to a place that will install a ROCK SOLID TRANSMISSSION and be done with it. His transmission guy also told me that if it is not running rough there is no real short term threat of being left on the side of the road with your d%%k in your hand.......the transmission may last 6 months or 2 years but one day it will fail. I hope this helps guys. Can anyone recommend a rock solid transmission to get put into to my truck once mine fails? Take care all.

VA

Last edited by VA5326; 01-17-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2009 | 02:15 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I would say either Fastman or PATC...there are more, I'm sure.

Quick Reply: P1740 Should I worry? :(