2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 1500 Sport against Non Sport Model. Bumper question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bumper is dented...found one for $150 but really want the sport bumper if I can mod it right...shush

Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
The bumper is dented...found one for $150 but really want the sport bumper if I can mod it right...shush
gotcha u made it sound like the hole thing was done. what about that exhaust?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Im gonna probably pass...got a craigs listing for a manifold back someone is selling...sent them an email on EXACTLY what it entails..I asked for header information lol see if they know what they talking about.

the dent is BIG...pushed my top plastic part all the way back lol...just dont wanna spend the money.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
I love the sport bumpers...was told there would be a mounting issue also? I'd love to take a sport bumper...paint it gray or black and put it on my truck...**** my bumper already messed up so why not?

What the work involved for me to do so?

All you really need is the the actual bumper/brackets and the sport grill (cause the lower portion of the grill is slightly different). The headlights are different on the sport too, but I think the overall shape is the same though so you could probably leave them.

If I ever get off my lazy *** and build me a bumper you can have mine (but you would have to find a grill, and my brackets are modified for a 3" body lift). But don't hold your breath...

Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
360dodgeram360
Professional

i think the bolt holes are in a different location for the sport bumper as i remember drilling some holes in the frame when i switched them. but i could be wrong

Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
helms
All Star

i would love to do a sport conversion, ill jus have to paint the truck silver. If anyone wants to get rid of their sport bumpers, grill and taillights let me know. i mean get rid, no moneys, lol . but you can keep the headlights, i dont need those.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish I saw this earlier!! I want a Sport Conversion!!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by helms
i would love to do a sport conversion, ill jus have to paint the truck silver. If anyone wants to get rid of their sport bumpers, grill and taillights let me know.

No no no, definitely keep the two tone colors of the truck. The grill and the very upper portion of the bumper (at the body line where the paint colors change) gets painted the upper color (is it tan, I cant tell?) and then the lower portion gets painted silver. You would for sure have yourself a one of a kind, as they never made a two tone sport.

And the tail lights are the same on each model, they are just painted on the sports.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 360dodgeram360
i think the bolt holes are in a different location for the sport bumper as i remember drilling some holes in the frame when i switched them. but i could be wrong

Its possible I guess. You must be talking about where the bumper bracket mounts to the frame? I cant see dodge having a different frame (well, holes in a different location) for a sport truck than they do for the non sport, but I don't know. Is your truck a 98 or older? Cause they could have changed the bolt hole layout on the newer models.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Originally Posted by olyelr
Its possible I guess. You must be talking about where the bumper bracket mounts to the frame? I cant see dodge having a different frame (well, holes in a different location) for a sport truck than they do for the non sport, but I don't know. Is your truck a 98 or older? Cause they could have changed the bolt hole layout on the newer models.
Well get under there and take some pics! Then I can tell ya! :P

I want to get a sport bumper and paint it gray like my canopy...think the chrome back bumper would still look good.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 Sport against Non Sport Model. Bumper question!