2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New 2nd Gen owners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
G&L01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2nd Gen owners...

My wife and I have just recently picked up a pristine little Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB 4x4 with a 318 and an automatic. I've put a couple pics of it in the photo album. I think it has a 4inch or so lift on it. We just replaced the worn out 35inch BFG AT tires that were on it with a brand new set of the same tire and they fit just fine with only minimal rubbing if you are turning hard while going over a good sized bump.

I'm just now starting to look into ways of squeezing some more power out of it. A gear change seems like an obvious thing to do with the 35inch tires, but I'm interested in engine mods as well. Eventually I would like to do a 390 stroker setup, so if I could start out with some bolt ons that would compliment that eventual goal, that would be the direction I wanna go. Any imput would be appreciated!

Looks like a lot of helpful people and good info here. We're glad to be here.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
MAJohns
Captain

welcome! from what i hear, fastman 52mm throtle body, 1.7 roller rockers, superchips programer claims 59.5HP and like 49 foot-lb torque

Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice Buy. It looks like a bunch of people are buying Dodge Rams all the sudden!

I looked in your photo gallery. It looks like you may have a Off-Road package truck. Off-Road Rams have(I think) a 2'' lift.(over a stock, non Off-Road Ram. Like mine \/)

You are on the right track with a gear change. If you got the money, go for it. But before you start tearing into the motor, you want to do some basic maintnance(Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all fluids change, Bla, bla...). Some good starter mods are 14x3 air cleaner(I don't want to start a disscussion), Performance muffler(your choice), Fastman 50mm, Superchips 3815, Harland Sharp roller rockers.

Hope this helps,
PurplDodgeKent

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome

+1 on every thing said

to check the gears open up the hood and look up under the hood there will be a tag that will tell you the gears you have.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 do tune up 1st then, the superchips and then 1.7 rollor rocker non-adjustables, and fastman, if you want it loud get a highflow cat with cherry bomb extreme or flowmaster original 40.

check out youtube and type in dodge ram exhaust see what floats your boat. lots of good looking ones too to give you some ideas.

welcome aboard lots of information here

Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
G&L01
Rookie

Thanks for the imput guys.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
dodgeforlife15
Professional

welcome. some really good ideas up above. if you are going to do an intake definitely do a 14x3 instead of cold air. i believe you get more performance out of it that way. when you are looking for ideas do not i repeat DO NOT go for a tb spacer. it is a HUGE waste of $. a new fastman tb is the way to go. also get the trans checked before you go on to mods. the trans is a weak point in these trucks and the last thing you want to do is spend a bunch on mods, have the tranny go out, and have to park it.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard!

How serious about the stroker motor are you? You just talking the stroke with stock heads, intake & cam or the works? Makes a big differences on suggestions. If the works, alot of whats suggested above would be a poor choice IMHO or just would not work with it.

Tune up for sure
410 minimum or preferably the 456 gears for about 420 final with 35s
SCT tuner will give good gains now and can easily support any stroker later.
Trans, deep pan with temp gauge, shift kit and check up good idea. Cooler if you dont have one also.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are serious about the eventual stroker and everything, I agree with Indy, get the SCT. Custom tunes are much better for that heavily of an upgraded engine than a "canned" tune like my Superchips Flashpaq 3815.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM
G&L01
Rookie

I'm just starting to research the idea of a stroker but whit I'm after for an end result is a good pulling motor, not so much a race engine. Something with good low end grunt.

Quick Reply: New 2nd Gen owners...