2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installing upgrades

I have a fastman throttle body, headers, and cat-back that are ready to be installed.
-Should I do all of them at once, or individually over time?
-Do I need to reset my PCM with each one?

I also plan to get a hypertech programmer.
-Should I wait to do the above installs until I have the programmer?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:12 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Installing upgrades

hell ya do em all at the same time, and yes get a programmer, either the hypertech or the superchips... some prefer the superchips to the hypertech. I have the hypertech and love it.

what exhaust do you have?

you might want to read this thread before finishing off the exhaust...

Old 02-23-2005, 08:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

oh yeah, what do you have for an intake kit? I've got the K&N with a 7x9" round filter... awesome compromise between the low end torque and upper end hp...

Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I still have a few decisions to make, but here's what I am down to.

What I am going to buy
---------------------------
JBA Ceramic Headers - I'm set on these. Just waiting to order them.
http://www.jbaheaders.com/headerdeta...tNum=1945S-1JT
Ignore the price on this page. I found a place that has them for less then half, plus free shipping.

Flowmaster or Magnaflow 3" single out exhaust. I like how they both sound, but have heard the Magnaflow is less droning at highway speeds, which would be nice. Magnaflow is about $250 more then the Flowmaster though.
-if Flowmaster, probably the 17178 cat-back system
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cg...ter/17178.html
Problem is that this kit comes with the 70 series muffler. I prefer the 50, but might like the 70 if it flows the same (because it is quieter). Haven't been able to find an all-in-one cat-back system from Flowmaster that comes with the 50.

-if Magnaflow, probably the 15727 cat-back system
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=Trucks&id=38
http://images.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15727.pdf
I want to talk to a Magnaflow rep about what size muffler I need for that system, and about getting a discount.

What I have and need to install
------------------------------------
-Fastman 50mm throttlebody

What I have already installed
----------------------------------
-Airaid intake system (not sure what size the cone filter is).
I like this so far, but might switch to a K&N (for their heat shield capabilities) if I find a good price on one. To help mine with radiant heat, I wrapped the intake tube in Thermo-Tec Thermo Shield. Protects up to 2000 degrees.
http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/13500/13500.html

FYI, Thermo-Tec also sells a radiant heat protector made specifically for cold air intake systems:
http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/14500/14500.html
I emailed one of their engineers and asked if using the Thermo Shield or the Thermo Tape would work just as well as this thing, and they said yes. I opted for the adhesive back solution because I didn't like the look of the laces on the cool tube heat shield.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

oh, i didnt realize the single out flow kit had the 70 series muffler on it. a friend of mine has that muffler and it sounds pretty good, his is on a chevy w/350 motor. I'd still go with the flow kit myself.

Whatdaya doing this afternoon... go and put the 50 mm TB on there today!!! it takes minutes, ok about 30 of them, it's easy and quick to install. Good call on wrapping the intake tube, if it's anything but plastic, it's stealing your hp... hot air = power loss...

Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I won't even get home till about 7:00pm, but I was thinking of putting the TB on this weekend.

I think wrapping the intake really helped, but I also took off the flap on the front radiator support the same day I put the wrap on. I'm sure that helped too. Either way, it seems better now (little more torquey) then it did a few weeks ago before the wrap and flap removal.

I still like how the K&N is longer and puts the filter inside a heat shield box. I was looking at your setup, and think l would also line the box with heat sheild material to give it extra heat protection. I just don't want to spend $250+ on a K&N intake system since I spent about $200 on the Airaid, and since I still have the exhaust components to buy. The Airaid will have to get me by for the time being.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I still like how the K&N is longer and puts the filter inside a heat shield box. I was looking at your setup, and think l would also line the box with heat sheild material to give it extra heat protection. I just don't want to spend $250+ on a K&N intake system since I spent about $200 on the Airaid, and since I still have the exhaust components to buy. The Airaid will have to get me by for the time being.
I'm not convinced that the extra wrapping of the heat shield is necessary in this case, the dodge engine compartment has so much room in it and when I touch the inside of the shield betweent the inuslation and the shield, it's not that hot. On a more compact engine compartment like on my bmw 325... definately. the shield gets hot and stays hot so the extra insulation helps alot.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM
ruler22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steve00ram360 did you buy the FIPK setup and then bought another filter to replace the one that came with the FIPK?

Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yes, the dodge motor has trouble breathing to begin with and I felt that I could improve the top end performance by changing the filter to a larger one. the compromise is that you loose a slight amount of low end torque, but gain a greater amount of upper end hp. worth it from my point of view... most of the driving is done above 2000 rpm.

where that swap shined was when I go into the mountains... there are some pretty steep inclines that I used to have to down shift on to keep my speed (w/stock k&n cone filter that came with the kit) but with the 7x9" filter I can stay in OD and up some of them, accelerate slightly... this alone makes it worth it to me... the filter was cheep... under $50 bux.

Quick Reply: Installing upgrades