2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad gas..or Welding.. leads to CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad gas..or Welding.. leads to CEL?

this morning I went out for a spin... muffler got real loud... checked it and there was a hole in front of the cat... took it to the shop and had them patch the hole and weld eveything in place (was using clamps)... drove her home and everything was fine (sounded better too)

I then put in about 3 gallons of gas I had in the barn... It'd been sitting about 2 months with stable added to keep it fresh... I had little over half tank at that point

drove to toledo and noticed my CEL was on.. truck still sounds fine

on the way back I ran low on gas and filled up with 23.44 gallons... drove home (35mi.)

This morning I reset the computer and drove about 5 miles and the CEL came on again....

SO... my question is.. could either the welding or the bad gas cause my CEL.. I'm thinking a bad 02 sensor?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What's the code it's giving you?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well... went to the zone and had them check it... high volt on 02 sensor.. rear on... got a new one.. came home to install... damn muffler shop didn't plug the 02 back in!!!!!!

so I plugged it in.. re-set computer.. and BAM CEL GONE!!.. $80 part will reuturn tomorrow!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wooo hoo! Free fix. I can't believe how crappy a lot shop work seems to be. I have way too many experiences where they did not pay any attention to detail. I used to fix that kind of stuff myself... but now I make a point of going back and making them fix it. They have to learn some how.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, good find. but welding with the battery connected can throw the CEL, just remember to un-hook the negative before hittin it with the stick

Quick Reply: Bad gas..or Welding.. leads to CEL?