2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leaking after engine turned off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005 | 06:14 PM
black_sport
Default Coolant leaking after engine turned off.

My 95 5.2L has a small coolant leak after the ignition has been turned off. It is coming down the back of the engine somewhere because I see it dripping of the tranny bellhousing but cant find the exact source. The truck has started running at a very low temperature, it wont even get warm enough to run the heater. I was told the culprit could be a freeze plug in the block but I cant locate it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2005 | 07:02 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Coolant leaking after engine turned off.

take it to a shop and have them put pressure on the cooling system... you should be able to find the leak. the fact that it does not get warm enough to run the heater kinda points to a heater core problem, or air in the system, or both since you have a leak.

do the shop thing and let us know what they say...

Old 02-24-2005 | 07:03 PM
akinaspeedstars1

I have the same exact proplem But i do all my work myself let me know if u find the proplem. It sucks not having heat and having leaking coolant!

Old 02-25-2005 | 10:43 PM
cnewt15
Professional

Autozone's free loan a tool program, cooling system pressure tester, a $75 dollar deposit you get back when you are done with it. Pump it up, look for the leak. Simple as that.

Old 02-27-2005 | 01:57 PM
440Duster

All mopar small block V-8's should have small freeze plugs in the end of the cylinder heads. On the older pre-magnum 318 and 360 engines there would be a freeze plug on the front of the passenger side head and one in the rear of the driver's side head. In my experience the driver side head was the one that I always had to repair. This requires removing the head to properly repair. Usually when one of the heads is leaking, you can see it coming down the side or rear of the engine block.

Also, there is a freeze plug in the rear of the engine block. This one requires removing either the engine or trans to replace. If this one is leaking, you should see anti-freeze coming from the lower front of the trans bellhousing from under the inspection cover.

Old 04-08-2009 | 11:16 AM
gobbell1
Professional

I have my tranny out and want to replace the two rear freeze plugs on my 5.9l magnum. Anybody know the size of the plugs or do I just need to measure them?

Old 04-08-2009 | 02:02 PM
J415
Champion

The plugs are behind the flex plate. I would just say measure them. The leak could also be the rear end gasket on the intake. just a thought even though it's ussually the freeze plug.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking after engine turned off.