2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Third Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

My only issue is with your earlier post, bud.

+1 for putting the OEM back in. Neon, I ended up putting my OEM one back in. I can't find a single LED replacement that is as bright as the stock one, let alone one that doesn't look ricer-ish. My two cents.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
No, what I mean is that the bulbs in that third light that come on with his running lamps (headlights) are ok, but that the bulbs for the brake lights are burned out. So at night, when he has his headlights on, he sees the working bulbs, but during the day when those bulbs are not on and he hist the brakes, he doesn't see anything because those bulbs are burnt out.
Third brakelight doesnt come on as a running light! ::facepalm::

Check and make sure the bulb is seated in there properly. I know cheep led's have a tendancy to fit very loose and can over time jiggle out of place. It could be that every time you hit a bump that the contacts hit and then miss giving you a sporatic bulb.

If you find that to not be the case, just get a regular bulb and see if it solves your problems. Its harder to diagnose a failed LED bulb than it is to diagnose a regular hallogin bulb.

If you replace the bulb and this still persists: Have you replaced the bulb socket? If so, with a multimeter and your brother holding the brake, check the terminal for voltage, then the wire just nearest to the socket, then after where you connected the wire. Jiggle the wire while you are doing it too to see if the power is sporatic. That should tell you exactly what is going on, and if any issues, just redo your wiring.

If you have no power on the wire anywhere, you are going to have to start tracing it back. But it may in fact be a brakelight switch issue (though they tend to fail in the on position it is still worth a look). I would just replace the brakelight switch anyways. $10, stupid easy to do...good preventative measure to ensure it doesnt die one day and your lights stay on and no one knows when you are really braking.

If that all fails, run it off a cliff....

Last edited by IndyRamMan; 02-17-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
MudRam99

Originally Posted by IndyRamMan
Third brakelight doesnt come on as a running light! ::facepalm::

If that all fails, run it off a cliff....
While carefully watching the third brake light as the truck hits the bottom, see if it lights upon impact. >

Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Originally Posted by mudram99
while carefully watching the third brake light as the truck hits the bottom, see if it lights upon impact. >
now thats thinkin with yer dipstick jimmy!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRamMan
now thats thinkin with yer dipstick jimmy!
Those comercials are awesome!!

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light