2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What do i need to do to paint aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do i need to do to paint aluminum

Hey guys I have aluminum running boards that are getting a bit yellow. I want to sand them and paint em. Anyone ever paint aluminum? Is there anything special i have to do or know. Also I was thinking about painting my rims black. Is that even possible since they have some sort of coating?

Thanks in advance, Erik

Last edited by Erik Kuijvenhoven; 02-20-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:23 PM
helms
All Star

whenever you paint aluminum, you need to make sure it is very clean and apply an "etching" primer or else the paint wont stick. I just use the etching primer in a rattle can and block it to smooth the strokes out. then you can do whatever you want with the paint.
As for wheels. if they are aluminum, in order to get proper results, you should sand blast the wheels first to get all the old stuff off, then, once again, use an etching primer. if their steel, just blast n' paint

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

auto zone has some wheel paint.. i used on my old chevy colorado that i actually traded for my ram.. anyway.. stuff works really good.. i just cleaned the wheels up real nice with soap and water.. let dry, then sprayed away. never had any issue with peeling, chipping, or anything. good stuff.. one can should do all 4 wheels too

Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 PM
helms
All Star

i think you got lucky, you should always scuff the shine away with some scotch brite before you paint.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by helms
whenever you paint aluminum, you need to make sure it is very clean and apply an "etching" primer or else the paint wont stick. I just use the etching primer in a rattle can and block it to smooth the strokes out. then you can do whatever you want with the paint.
As for wheels. if they are aluminum, in order to get proper results, you should sand blast the wheels first to get all the old stuff off, then, once again, use an etching primer. if their steel, just blast n' paint

+1 a basic rule to remember is whatever the primer looks like, is what the paint will look like. If the primer is lumpy, uneven, has drips, runs, etc., the paint coats will look that way too. If the primer is uniform and even, the paint will look mint.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Cool thanks guys ill post some pics after I painted the running boards and rims

Quick Reply: What do i need to do to paint aluminum