2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny temp and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM
renegadewarrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny temp and check engine light

I have a 98 ram 2500 with the auto trans. Sometimes when I'm plowing, usually when it's heavy or deep after a little while the check engine light will come on and the tranny will start slipping. Does the check engine light come on only because the trans fluid is hot? Alot of people tell me that a hot trans won't make the light come on, but they seem related. As soon as the light comes on the trans will be slipping. I'll stop plowing right away(usually cuz my truck won't move) let it cool down and it will be fine. The light stays on for a days and eventually goes out on its own. Anybody have some insight on this one?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well there is tran temp light but it doesn't come on till like 280 or sumthing really high.. not sure what to tell you, but you may want to put some money into a bigger trans cooler and dreper trans pans, to bring the tran fuild temp down and help with you slipping pro went hot.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to get the codes read. Before any real kind of diagnostic suggestions can be made.

Quick Reply: Tranny temp and check engine light