2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MSD is killing my pockets!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD is killing my pockets!!

Yet another bad plug from my 6a. The total count is 4 plugs, 1 cap, 2 rotors, and 1 really bad headache. Although the coil is still holdin up. Time to switch the plugs to autolights, pull the 6a and go from there.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stick with the Champions. My truck didn't like the Autolites and I've heard of several others with this problem too. Although there do seem to be guys who swear by them. I didn't like them and I know a lot of guys feel the same way I do.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran

I've ran e3's (crap), bosch (crap), and NGK (burned up 4, so i guess crap) I'll look into the champs. Thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
robinbobin
Rookie

hometheaterman - what kind of problems or what not did you have with the autolites? just curious cuz thats what im running.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
helms
All Star

Something sounds wrong here, it sounds like you have had this problem for a while, so im sure you have tried to figure it out. This shouldnt happen, what gap are you running and have you contacted MSD? there may be a problem with the box or wiring, it sounds like its putting out WAY too much voltage. also i know that you cant use solid core plugwires with a box, what are you running? I am using a 6AL-2 in my Camaro and i havent had any problems with anything.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robinbobin
hometheaterman - what kind of problems or what not did you have with the autolites? just curious cuz thats what im running.
After a month or so it just started making a ticking noise like it was missing slightly. Not horribly but slightly. I never got a CEL but it just didn't feel exactly right. I worked at a shop at the time and the owner told me what I was describing sounded like a miss. It wasn't a bad miss but just felt like it was slightly missing. I put the Champion plugs which came stock back in and the truck seems to like them better. At least I do. Just seem a little better.

I had a buddy that worked at a Dodge dealer and he told me that Autolites seemed to foul in the Dodges pretty often and he thinks I fouled one after a month. Not sure if that's true but I do think I probably fouled one. He told me the stock Champions are the best and I honestly think that is true from what I've tried. I like NGK plugs but have never tried them in the Dodge as the Champions work great.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran

MSD said run a colder plug, so i ran the NGK's. MSD 8mm wires on it. MSD also recomended an anti knock module. My idea is ditch the 6a.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I run ngks and those have always been great on my truck.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
helms
All Star

ya i run NGKs in everything,

Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

NGK's V-powers have worked great with my MSD 6A box. Run the stock heat gapped about .005 wider. They might be too cold and prematurely fouling. I think the design of the v powers helps the kernal form and leads to better flame propagation.

Right now I'm trying the NGK Iridiums to see if they hold up to the box longer. Tapping each plug 3 times a rotation burns the plugs, cap, and rotor up quickly.

I'll say this too....

I ran my truck for a month without the MSD box and then reconnected it, and the difference in off-the-line acceleration was very noticeable.

Quick Reply: MSD is killing my pockets!!