2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:57 PM
mxmancr250
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise

I just got an 01 Ram 1500 Sport a few weeks ago, this is my first American vehicle purchase. I notice that when I accelerate that there is a hissing noise coming from the engine, when the truck is no longer accelerating or deaccelerating the noise is gone. Is this normal or could there be a snake stuck in the engine somewhere that I should be looking for?

Old 02-28-2005, 12:25 AM
mzorro85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise

maybe air being sucked in through the air filter???? especially if you have an k&n or something like that

Old 02-28-2005, 12:39 AM
1969roadrunner
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine noise

If there is a snake somewhere in your engine compartment, then that is one crazy snake, either that or he's got a death wish...

It's probably just air going through the air cleaner like the other guy said. If you have a cold (cool) air intake system (like K&N) then that's probably it. If you don't, check to make sure the filter assembly is correctly fastened and that the gasket is in place on top of the engine.

Big 'ol American V8s, especially the 360 (5.9L) you probably have since it is a Sport edition, love their air, and when you stomp on 'em, there gonna suck in any and all of it they can get their hands on. If you really want to check, open the hood and have a buddy give it a little gas, even without a heavy load, you should still be able to hear where the hiss is coming from. If it's not coming from the filter or a related element, then check to make sure you don't have a cut vaccum hose somewhere. One way to test your vaccum hoses is to test your cruise control. I had a hose break on me and it caused the cruise to fluctuate wildly.

If it is nothing like that, well then, you must have a supercharger or turbo of some kind on the engine and then you are really lucky. Haha. I doubt that's it, I don't see how someone could miss a supercharger, just threw it out there.

Congrats on the purchase by-the-way. You made a good choice by buying the best brand out there. MOPAR or no car!!!

Quick Reply: Engine noise