2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Allow myself to introduce....wait

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems to be everyone's favorite excuse when they say something that's wrong.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya know it would be a lil different if I used it all the time. The funny thing is, when I make a mistake, I admit to it.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
CoolRide
Rookie

Good grief.

Ok so it sounds like the vacuum lines must still be intact if the dash indicater light is coming on.

Someone said something about a "fork" that may have broken, could someone please tell my where and how to check that out?

I will be getting a Chilton or the like a little later today too.

Thanks again guys.
Sammy

Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You have to remove the CAD (central axle disconnect) on the back of the passenger side of the front axle. Somehow I don't think that's the prob though. But you never know I guess.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:24 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
You have to remove the CAD (central axle disconnect) on the back of the passenger side of the front axle. Somehow I don't think that's the prob though. But you never know I guess.
Just ruling out the cheap stuff first. I've seen "Heavy Duty" forks sold so I assumed they made them for a reason ... like some folks managed to break their stock units.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
CoolRide
Rookie

Thank you!
Yeah I doubt its going to be easy OR cheap but I am checking the simple stuff first. (If there is such a thing lol)

I figured the worst when I got it, but it drives and looks so good and I got it for a strate across trade which cost me about $3500 even knowing nothing about them, I couldnt pass it up.

I just got back from schmucks with my new chilton.

I'll post an update once I figure where everything is.

Sammy

Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
neattouch648
Professional

quick and easy check:

leave the truck in 2wd and turn off the motor. NOW put it into 4 hi
get underneath the truck and try to turn the front drive shaft...if it turns, then your problem is in the transfer case, if it doesn't turn then your problem is in the front axle.

if the front driveshaft WAS NOT turning get back up and start the truck so that the Center axle disconnect will engage the front axle. Now jack up the front of the truck and see if you can turn the tires. If the left tire turns backwards when you spin the right one forward then somethings wrong...If you can spin either one freely without affecting the other then your problem is either the front differential, ring, pinion or something like that OR the Ceter axle disconnect sleve may be broken or something around those lines....
Let me know the results of the first test....lol

Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by neattouch648
If the left tire turns backwards when you spin the right one forward then somethings wrong.
Huh ??

Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said there neattouch, but if he has an open differential (like many of us do), in 4WD or no, spin one tire, and the other will spin the opposite direction.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
CoolRide
Rookie

Originally Posted by neattouch648
quick and easy check:

leave the truck in 2wd and turn off the motor. NOW put it into 4 hi
get underneath the truck and try to turn the front drive shaft...if it turns, then your problem is in the transfer case, if it doesn't turn then your problem is in the front axle.

if the front driveshaft WAS NOT turning get back up and start the truck so that the Center axle disconnect will engage the front axle. Now jack up the front of the truck and see if you can turn the tires. If the left tire turns backwards when you spin the right one forward then somethings wrong...If you can spin either one freely without affecting the other then your problem is either the front differential, ring, pinion or something like that OR the Ceter axle disconnect sleve may be broken or something around those lines....
Let me know the results of the first test....lol

Oh man.

I'm afraid I'm a little confused (more than usual?)
I just read this post, I had a busy couple days and my new truck has just been sittin, but I should have some time to look into it a little closer now.

I have read the post about 14 times , (remember I am new to this) and am not completly sure what I am looking for.

I will re-read the info again and look at my Chilton, I DID find my transfer case, and go from there, thanks for the help.

Sammy