2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WD light not working

Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
madmax0r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, didn't see that... good idea by the way!

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i think the 4wd light comes on during the gauge test.
hold odometer trip meter in while turning key to "on" and continue to hold it in a couple more seconds till the odometer says CHEK.

4wd light switch is on drivers end of CAD. check, unplug, clean out the mud.
jumpering the 2 wires should illuminate the light on the dash.
switch is easily replaceable for about $20 or less, avail at autozone and everywhere else.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i think the 4wd light comes on during the gauge test.
hold odometer trip meter in while turning key to "on" and continue to hold it in a couple more seconds till the odometer says CHEK.

4wd light switch is on drivers end of CAD. check, unplug, clean out the mud.
jumpering the 2 wires should illuminate the light on the dash.
switch is easily replaceable for about $20 or less, avail at autozone and everywhere else.
I checked earlier this evening ... the 4WD light only lights up when the CAD is actually engaged ... even during the cluster test ... how useless is that?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by madmax0r
Hey,

take the connector off the front axle switch and put a piece of wire that jumpers it, see if the light comes on. that pretty much confirms that its a fuse or a bulb
You mean "pretty much confirms it's the switch", right? Yeah ... that's what you meant.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
madmax0r
Professional

they probably made it a separate circuit because not all trucks have 4x4. its like an add on option when they're building it.

its just a cheap *** approach. that way they don't have to have different electronics for the 4x4 models.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
madmax0r
Professional

haha,

I have been drinking for several hours. you should prolly just ignore any further comments from me for a while... lol

If you think about it, It just determines what it is, if it lights up, its the switch, If it doesn't, its the light or fuse. so i guess we're both right? lol

Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by madmax0r
haha,

I have been drinking for several hours. you should prolly just ignore any further comments from me for a while... lol

If you think about it, It just determines what it is, if it lights up, its the switch, If it doesn't, its the light or fuse. so i guess we're both right? lol

Or, it could be the wire is pinched/cut... which is what I suspect. I will un-hook the connector and jump it to see if the bulb shines again... if not, I'ma thinkn' the wire is cut somewhere's.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4WD light not working