2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 motor swap, couple of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 AM
mx.boy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 motor swap, couple of problems...

Hello all,

I hope one of you knowledgable guys will be able to help. I've got a '96 2500 Truck with 5.9 360 motor.

Motor blow up and managed to get a '99 5.9 360 motor complete with trans with only 70,000 miles on.

Got a local garage to install motor and trans, swap went ok, engine runs great. However, when the motor was installed the guys said they couldn't connect the temp gauge and speed sensor connectors because they are different on the newer motor. This garage is not an auto-electrical place but I was happy with what I paid for the motor fit.

1st question is, I've got a CEL come on, is this because of the temp or speed sensor not being connected? Or will I get a CEL if either one is disconnected. The reason I ask is because I've got to get it smogged and want to solve the CEL light initially. I was hoping the temp sensor alone is causing the CEL as I think that is the easier to fix.

2nd question is, the old engine had a temp senor with only 1 wire however the newer engine as a 2 wire connector. Is it easy to get the 1 wire on my loom to connect to the newer connector? Do you think an Auto-Electrical place would be able to sort this out cheaply or is it simple enough to do? Any other solutions you can think of?

3rd question is, the old setup had the speed sensor running off the trans where now I think the newer trans doesn't have the speed sensor. The speed sensor was moved, I believe, between these years from the trans to the rear axle. My truck still as the 96 axle, therefore, there is a loose wire and connector by my trans now that can't be connected. Will I need to fit a complete 99 axle to get the speedo to work? Any other solutions?

Would be great to here off anyone that as faced the some dilemma when swapping motors, etc or anyone that's seen the differences between the years.

Many thanks for any answers, idea or comments.

Last edited by mx.boy; 03-09-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM
MiaTurbo
Professional

You should be able to use the '96 sensors on the '99 engine/trans. Do you still have the original engine to take the sensors out of?

As far as the CEL, it could be a number of things and without a code reader you're only speculating.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Your '96 used the "Gear in the Tranny" trick to run the speedometer/odometer, The '99 uses the "Sensor in the Differential" method.

When you say "Speed Sensor" ... do you mean the VSS on the tranny or the RWSS on the diff? The VSS will pop a CEL ... the RWSS will not.

Quick Reply: 5.9 motor swap, couple of problems...