2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cab Light Controller - Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cab Light Controller - Any ideas?

Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a controller to run cab lights that I will eventually be putting on my truck. I'm planning on having it do a few "trick" things - and I'm looking for ideas that you might have as something you might think would be cool to do.

For example, I plan on implementing a wig-wag type function so that the cab lights will strobe when the hazzard lights are on. I am also planning on implmenting a function that is similar to the "move over" signs you see on the highway... the lights will go on in such a way that it looks like it is pointing to the left (or right) depending on which flasher is on. Of course there is the Knight Rider scan too...

You guys have any ideas of something that would be cool?

Cartman

Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't run afoul of Johnny Law. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (Here?? NEVER!!) but my understanding is that cab lights are considered "commercial items" and, as such, are pretty heavily regulated.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Light controller?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Light controller?
Yup, instead of hooking them up to a switch and calling it good, I will have a micro controller that will determine which light(s) are on or off at any given time. So I can create all kinds of lighting effects - like strobes, flashing with the flasher, the scan back and forth... Something more creative than just on or off.

Most of the time they will be just on, but I was looking for alternative ideas...

Cartman

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
Don't run afoul of Johnny Law. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (Here?? NEVER!!) but my understanding is that cab lights are considered "commercial items" and, as such, are pretty heavily regulated.
Probably... they will be in the solid on part for the most part while driving on the road.

Cartman

Quick Reply: Cab Light Controller - Any ideas?