2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Leaf Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Kindschi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Leaf Spring Question

Well for the past 3 weeks ive had this noise in my rear end. When I hit a bump or pothole or the occasional small animal (that remarks for you aims4) I have been hearing this metal "clank" noise from the rear Passenger ive been trying to narrow down the clank and today I got under there and like a ton of bricks I noticed something I never suspected. The block the leaf spring sits on has a wedge block on the top, not sure its purpose but it "had" one and now its gone. Heres some pics..

My ? is, should I just tighten down the u bolts without the wedge, the truck sits level and I dont notice any ride change other then the noise.. is this harmful to drive daily or should I park it and get another block with wedge?

Passenger side without the wedge.

Driver side with

This show just how lose my read end is.. notice the large gap between the u bolt plate and rear end... scary. I can literally move it by hand.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Uh, that "wedge" is called a shim. It is supposed to correct the pinion angle when the lift is installed. Definitely get one back in there, and make sure it is the proper degree (same as the other side anyway). And for sure do not drive it with loose u-bolts

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Dont worry the bolts were tightened down before I even posted on here... Guess ill be looking for a replacement shim now, thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade it in.

No seriously ... short term (tighten them up) is probably not a problem but start now on how to replace it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

And they gave you Truck of the Month??? Man, more dirty politics....

Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramman18
And they gave you Truck of the Month??? Man, more dirty politics....
Yup, not like I knew there was a problem, at first I just assumed it was the rims I had in the back of my truck clanking around, then I got them out and the noise stayed.

Gonna take to shop tomorrow, boss gonna check and see if the shims are even required, if they are he says hes got a few blocks floating around with shims I can rob the shim from if needed.

PS: I have access to some 1999 1 ton rear leaf springs. Would these bolt right up to my truck? Would I gain any lift in the rear?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the 1 ton's will likely be 3" wide, rather than the 2.5" you have. you'd have to screw around with the mounts and u-bolts and perches... you'd be better off to build a taller spring pack from the same width springs.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Looking through my boss's stuff (and there was alot) I found a set of blocks for my truck that will add 1&1/2 inch of lift to the rear, u bolts and all!... problem solved!

Should have it all on tomorrow will provide pics of course.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Make sure they have the proper degree built into them or install the proper degree shims. Otherwise you will be going through u-joints in the rear shaft like crazy.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Will do!
Also found a 3inch body lift... got me thinking about putting it to use.

PS: How them boggers run on the road?

Quick Reply: Rear Leaf Spring Question