2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd or 4th gen?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd or 4th gen?????

out of all 4 generations of the dodge truck's I think my 2nd gen's deff the best built any disagree??? i would love some real input here not just preferences. I wouldn't mind a excuse to get a new one, but I deffenatly love my 2nd gen wont ever let her go. I seen on Auto week that Ford is there best truck of the year. I do however find here in Ontario that Dodge has the best resale value out of trucks, How come? i think its because there built better wouldn't u ??? anyways Give me your opinion Thanks

Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, It is still to early to tell on the 3rd gen and the 4th gen trucks. Some of the earlier ones are starting to show some issues, but nothing real major.

Personally, I think the the 1st gen trucks were the best built out of all of them. We owned an 85 and an 88 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton respectively, and they were absolute tanks.
I like the 4th gen styling, but I am starting to think that they are very cheaply built, but you really cant find a truck that is well made anymore. The day of a truck being a truck (IE: It works hard, and has very little issues) is long gone. Now, new trucks have turned into a grocery getter.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

lol I know eh Man my truck has been so tough but my wifes car a 01 grand am gt is very problematic, My mother in law has a 06 kia Rio 5 and its a piece of crap she has replaced everything except the tires I mean Everything!!!!!!!!!!! Its wierd how so many ppl dont understand how much better built dodge is my buddie has a dodge stratus its been amazing too its all about maintc...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

the second gen trucks are great, the third gens are not bad especially with the Common Rail Cummins. but im a second gen guy my self, and my truck is and absolute workhorse, the 4th gen half ton is just a glorified grocery getter with the coils in the REAR!!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM
01dabram20
Veteran

I like the second gen rams, but i wouldn't mind having a 3rd gen power wagon. I just like the looks of them and the full four doors.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Psssh. These trucks aren't well built. They last awhile if you maintain the crap out of it and replace everything that breaks. But other makes can go 100k before anything needs changing. I've put so much money into repairing it just to keep it going that I could have bought two vehicles.

I checked out the 4th gen today and I must admit, they are beefy trucks. The exterior is very large and the hood is huge. The dash is bigger and there's lots of room inside. They even sit a little higher than my truck stock. Solid doors, soft seats, quality materials and great fit and finish. If they only came in a stick. . .

Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a friend of my g/f has a 2003 and her oil light was on....she got it changed and the shop told her it was 5 qts low!!! i dont think mine would last long 5 qts low

Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ka Ka Ka Kia... Kia pet. Just add water and your whole family can enjoy. Your mother-in-law didn't add water probably. Darn thing just shriveled up and died. Poor thing.

I've always thought the 1st gens were cool and strong. Do you remember the one on Simon and Simon? That one is better than the one on Walker Texas Ranger. But I've never had one. I'd say my 2nd gen has had no more or less problems than my old 87 S-10. You just have to maintain it like any other vehicle. Some have less stout parts holding them together and it depends on how you (ab)use it.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Psssh. These trucks aren't well built. They last awhile if you maintain the crap out of it and replace everything that breaks. But other makes can go 100k before anything needs changing. I've put so much money into repairing it just to keep it going that I could have bought two vehicles.

I checked out the 4th gen today and I must admit, they are beefy trucks. The exterior is very large and the hood is huge. The dash is bigger and there's lots of room inside. They even sit a little higher than my truck stock. Solid doors, soft seats, quality materials and great fit and finish. If they only came in a stick. . .
LOL .... what truck would u recomend???? My brother bought a Ford and it seems to be doing great. its been a plow truck for 2 years now and its had less maint than my dodge i Love my dodge any one here think the new ford's might be a bit better? Except for Power I think fords gas engines are a little under powered (older trucks)the 5.9 is a power wagon for sure..

Last edited by Erik Kuijvenhoven; 03-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I would recommend either Ford or Chevy over Dodge. Not because I hate Dodge. On the contrary, I like working on a vehicle and fixing it up. However, MOST people buy a rig and drive it like a car, i.e. little to no maintenance and hard stop and go.

For those buyers, I would say don't buy a Dodge. Because they'll be the idiot on the side of the road who didn't know about the plenum leak, or turned up the radio when they heard pinging, or didn't look in underneath to see the axle seal leaking again, or didn't add a tranny cooler, or didn't replace another track bar, or didn't replace ball joints, or didn't listen to the wheel bearings growl, etc. Need I go on? These trucks need constant attention and for that, very few people can give it.

My parents own a 05 Tahoe and it's had one small warranty fix in the suspension and nothing else for over 50k. The service intervals are for 100k. Think you'd ever get that on a Dodge?

Every year I have to do some major repair again, usually the same thing. I'm getting tired of it and am starting to look elsewhere. Ford F150 is one sharp truck and has ZERO tranny problems, little to none engine issues, great towing, good mileage and the best interior around. Chevys are very reliable too and have awesome power and mileage although very ugly and car-like.

So if someone wanted a crash coarse on becoming a mechanic, I'd say get a Dodge.