2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

14x3 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14x3 question

Ok this has prolly been answered, but i gots a question about the 14x3 air cleaner. I live on a farm and was wondering how safe this would be to use considering the truck does see some muddy irrigation lanes, and water from said lanes. I don't drive like a mad man through them b/c I want to keep all me teeth and keep the truck in one piece.

For those who don't feel like reading, what are the chances of water or mud getting all over the filter.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I've personally had it happen on a small scale. I had to wipe water and mud off my top lid before. That tells me I probably sucked a little down the intake but wasn't much. You will run that risk... which is why I keep my stock box in my toolbox just incase to swap back. I'd keep the stock box if I were you.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was told to get a breather?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I've personally had it happen on a small scale. I had to wipe water and mud off my top lid before. That tells me I probably sucked a little down the intake but wasn't much. You will run that risk... which is why I keep my stock box in my toolbox just incase to swap back. I'd keep the stock box if I were you.
ive never seen water on my box before, but that don't mean its not there, but for the most part this truck sees road, but like i said its a farm truck, and it sees things some people wouldn't even consider sane lol

Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
ive never seen water on my box before, but that don't mean its not there, but for the most part this truck sees road, but like i said its a farm truck, and it sees things some people wouldn't even consider sane lol
It's a toss up really. I mean I have never gotten anything on the stock box now that you mention it... but I know one time I did wipe mud off the lid of the open air cleaner and is starting to rust lol. That was one of the first times I really went mudding in the truck. Being as you work on a farm im still suggesting you stick with the stock box. I know it can get pretty dusty when working on a farm... and pulling the air from the fender in the stock box will be better imho. I know when my bro goes camping and its a dirt / stone road, I throw on the stock box. If you do go open, plan on replacing / cleaning your filter all the time if your exposed to a lot of dust. It's not worth it imho.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

yea thats what i was thinking, i know it would look oh so cool, but i don't think even one of those precleaners would help much at all, and im too damn cheap to replace a filter every month during the summer when im running down irrigation lanes

Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Viper37
Banned

I drove through a puddle (about 10 inches standing water) and the engine started stumbling. I opened the hood and the air cleaner was completely waterlogged. I took it off and the engine was stumbling and missing, and kept stalling. Thankfully it cleared itself and no damage was done, but this was one of the many reasons I am not running the 14x3 air cleaner.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have covered my intake with mud and water on a few occasions. The first time I did it, I had to replace the filter, and I had a small bit of water enter the TB. Since then, I use a prefilter cover to protect the filter. It helps in mud, I doubt it would help in water (like if your going through a creek or something).

All the farm trucks I drive are diesels, but if they were gas, I would not put a 14x3 setup on them due to some of the conditions I have been in with them. If you decide to run one, you should at least carry a spare filter just in case.

Quick Reply: 14x3 question