2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Hawk6540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems please help

I was driving my 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9l down the highway the other day, and about 45 minutes into the trip something went wrong. I lost about half of the power going down the road. I finally got off on a exit, shut the truck off and opened up the hood. I began to look didnt see anything unusual. Started the truck back up and decided to turn back around. Ran great until about 20 minutes, again lost about half of my power. Going up hills were a blast, If I would stomp on the pedal It would just loose power, half pedal was the way to go. Got it home and looked under the hood, nothing. I went to go start it the next day fired right up, got a half mile down the road, and it just quit. Now when ever I go to start it, it take a minute to get it started, but then runs for a second and dies. When it does run it runs really rough (bogging out), and start to smell up the garage of fumes. I am getting go fuel pressure, recently had tune up and plugs are getting spark? Help lol

Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to say collapsed cat. Whack the bottom of it and see what you hear. Then pull the front O2 sensor (if you can) and see if that doesn't help it run better.

Quick Reply: Problems please help