2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Silver Kracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifting problem

I have a 5.9 and lately its been hard to get up to speed. I'm having trouble getting my truck from 1st to 2nd gear, and have to work with the pedal to get it to switch without using using a lot of RPMs.

The funny thing is, its switch absolutely fine from 2nd to 3rd and beyond.

I know its a transmission problem, but I don't know what exactly is the problem. I'd prefer to fix it myself too because paying $1500 dollars isn't exactly something I wanna do. Does anyone know whats wrong with it?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
pro_onSNOW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem. My tranny wouldn't shift down to first gear so it was slow going from a stop because it was starting in second gear....but it shifted through the rest of the gears fine. Anyways, I took it to the tranny shop and they said it was the pressure sensor...and they wanted 600 bucks to fix it. I decided to do iot myself as i found there was a recall on the sensors online with instructions on how to change it. The job ended up takeing 45 min and costing $50, and the tranny runns good as new. O, I bought the parts online and saved a ton of money. if you phone and talk to the guys they can help ensure your getting the right parts.

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting problem