2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Free Play in Brake Pedal. Need Help ASAP!!! Long drive home.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Free Play in Brake Pedal. Need Help ASAP!!! Long drive home.

Hey all. So let me get straigt to it. Today I was kind of bord (one of those days) so I decided to take a closer look at my rig. I noticed that I have about an inch or two of free play in my brake pedal before I feel resistance. Also, for about 2 weeks now, I've noticed a pusle type of feeling after I come to a complete stop. It was spuratice at first and would happen every once in a great while but it's just getting proggressivly worse. 2 weeks ago Firestone, peices of crap, did an alignment on my rig and check my fluids as well. THEY FORGOT TO PUT THE BRAKE RESIORVOR CAP ON TIGHT!!! There was brake fluid everywhere on the driveside of the engine bay. so I bled the brakes thinking air got in but the problems still there. I also check the brake lines and they LOOK solid. I'm at a loss. what could it be? has anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 PM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for the free play I would suggest checking the rear brakes, they may need adjusted up as they may have worn down. Because when you apply the brake the back is the first to receive the pressure then the front kicks in. My brakes were like that with some play till I adjusted them up. Not sure about the pulsating feeling when coming to a complete stop as my truck does it to.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM
J415
Champion

No sh*t? your truck does that too? Has it always been like that? I've had my truck for 40,000 miles and it's just now doing this. The pulsing, to me, feels like I have air pockets in the line, but I bled it already. I think I might do it again because the LAST thing I need right now, is to get into an accident.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have a slightly warped rotor on the front from the last time I did front brakes. Yeah, its been like that. I have only had my truck coming up a year in two months and drove it over 20,000 miles. I doubt its normal but I haven't found anything wrong. It stops no problem when I hit the brakes even when I went on my most recent trip to PA up and down the steep hills. Also if I let off my brake ever so slightly to move up in traffic I get the pulse feeling. For all I know it could be the abs that comes with these trucks; mine is abs rear only.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
J415
Champion

♠ So just to clear up any confusion, my pulsing pedal feels like the pedal is burping. It'll feel firm then it feels like an air pocket. then firm and a cluster of air pockets. It happens after I've driven the truck for a little while. When the truck is warmed up. Does anyone else have any ideas? Maybe even a shot in the dark? I just need to get a dialog going to figure it out. ♠

Last edited by J415; 03-29-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Free Play in Brake Pedal. Need Help ASAP!!! Long drive home.