2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove TB

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 PM
GoneLikeThaGreen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove TB

I want to replace my IAC and have heard its easiest just to remove the whole TB. Ive seen this in a thread some where but i cant find it there is pics with it. anyone know where thats at? isnt there also a gasket under the TB and that would have to replaced right? The whole from IAC socket going into the TB goes upwards so I wouldnt have to worry about anything falling down inside if I dont remove the TB cause I wont really be able to see if I go that route. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pull the TB off and clean it all over, including the IAC port. The TB is easy to pull off...just pull the vac hose off the front, unplug the MAP sensor (front), TPS (driver side) and IAC (back side), then the throttle/tv cable linkage (passenger side). Remove the sensors from the TB before you clean it. Spray it down with carb cleaner and clean away. The throttle linkage is bolted to the TB (black bracket on the passenger side of the TB), so remove those bolts as well. The throttle just has a couple of cables that snap on and off. Then, take out the 4 bolts for the TB and you're done. You can reuse the gasket if you don't tear it. If you want to, just replace it...it's like $2. Once you get into it, it's really simple. Don't depress the **** looking thing on the IAC.

Last edited by Ram2K1; 03-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM
RAZRAM
Professional

yeah removing the TB and cleaning it all up is real easy, im 17 with minimal mechanical experience and i did it last week and learned alot more about the motor and the way everything works. Im going to replace my IAC too cuz mine isnt doing its job. BTW the throttle cables just clip off and then clip back on, i didnt know this at first and was stumped for a little while haha.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can remove the TB if you want, but its not necessary. you can replace IAC on the back of the TB in 5 minutes and never even remove the air cleaner. 2 #25 torx and an electrical connector. make sure the well is clean and don't forget the o-ring.

if you do remove the TB, look down inside and you'll probably find a leaking plenum.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Quick Reply: How to remove TB