2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Msd

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
BlueDemon01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd

I just got done with putting on my headers and muffler and a new thermostat, but now I'm going on to my next project. I'm thinking it will be new 8.5mm MSD wires, and an MSD ignition system. They have some deals around the auto parts shops here, so I was thinking theres no better time.

I was just browsing through the JEGs catalog and thought the 5 Street Ignition would be good, but then again I dont know much about them at all.

I'm asking, should this be a good next step for my ram? And could someone help me out in picking my ignition system?

I'm not going to pull out the motor, at least untill 150k-200k miles and do a rebuilt, maybe throw a cam in it or some other mods, but that will be in some years, as for now, I'm wiling to throw in the money and make my truck purty under the hood.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
helms
All Star

for any application i would reccommend a capacative discharge ignition sytem of somesort, wether its analog or digital.

For a truck that sees mostly highway use and will more than likely never go over 5200RPM i think a basic MSD 6A will be more than enough, you dont need the extreme high voltage or the rev limiter or any of the other add-ons the higher up versions have. i think you are looking for a basic CD ignition box. so i would recommend MSD 6A or the Mallory HyFire VI-A.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
hutch1973
Captain

I'm curious, what improvements have you seen with an aftermarket ignition? I installed them in a couple big block Ford projects when I was younger, but always thought it was overhyped because I couldn't tell any difference.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Silver1500
Professional

Supposedly, they give you better fuel economy, throttle response, and low end.
I have an MSD 6AL on my truck, but I cant notice a difference.
But hey, if it costs $250 bucks, its gotta do something right? lol

Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 AM
helms
All Star

well you get more voltage at the plug during higher RPMs due to the Capacative discharge, and MSD (not sure about Mallory) gives three sparks every cycle under 3000RPM to help burn all the fuel.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i noticed when i put my msd on, it starts up alot better, idles better, and more throttle responce, i have not installed a box yet but been thinking about it, if your going msd , i would get some ngk iridium plugs also