2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No photo or video can every tell the story there all just snap shots.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Wunder mount and mounted mine like this in PCfixerpro or whatever his name is picture

I love it right there. The only time it's bad is if someone is riding in the middle seat they can ride there but it's not the most comfortable. I don't have that thing on top there or have the mic mounted. I love how it is right there though and best of all I didn't have to drill any holes in my truck. I'm just not sure I think the dash on these trucks is strong enough to support the weight of a cb over time.

I think I paid like $45 for my Wunder mount but I'm not sure if they even still make it as that was a few years ago. You could make one as several people have done.

That being said I had a Cobra 29. I'm not sure which one it was it was the highest end one with the night watch and all. I didn't like it at all. It didn't seem to reach far at all and I couldn't hardly understand anyone on it. I read review after review about how great it was but after having this issue and asking about it I was told the speaker in it is crap and that's why I couldn't understand people. It just sounded muffled. They told me it was a good cb but you should run a external speaker. I didn't want to do that and I didn't like that it didn't seem to reach very far. Plus it didn't have features I wanted. So I ended up selling it for not all but a good chunk of what I paid for it. I bought a Superstar to replace it as I had several friends with them. I like this thing 100x better. It's super clear, seems to reach a lot farther, and has more features that I like. You might want to consider trying your Cobra out to see if you like it if you still have a return period as you may not. Who knows. Plenty do like them I just didn't.

I said I didn't want another Cobra after that but a buddy gave me a Cobra 38 hand held radio at the time I got the Superstar and I loved that thing. It was super clear, reached a long ways for a hand held, just worked amazingly. It took a major beating and kept on working. I ended up having it fall out of my pocket as I was crossing a creek. It fell in the water and that finally finished it off. I really wish I still had it as I loved that thing. The guy that I know that sells them stopped selling them and now has the Midland hand helds so that's what I got and I really like it too. There is just something about the Cobra I still like. Both work great for hand helds though. I've come to the conclusion that not all Cobra's are bad as I loved that hand held I just didn't like the Cobra 29 I used.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 04-04-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Hoss98
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am new to CB's but I got the Cobra 29, the power chord, mic, mic hanger, and a 27" mag mount all for $55 from a buddy so I figures I would just go with that. Another friend of mine is big into CBs and he has the same one as me. He said his didnt reach far untill he tuned it just right and he runs an external speaker on his too. Its super powerful and he said he could help me fix mine like that.

Im wondering though I have an after market radio with an external auxillary jack. Do you think I can just plug the CB into that instead of buying a speaker? I already have a cable to do it I just dont wanna fry anything or blow any speakers.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

I wouldn't...

There is a lot of static and other "undesirable" sounds that come through a CB. I would just spend a few bucks on a new speaker. Besides... that way you can still listen to your stereo too.

Cartman

Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Hoss98
Professional

True they aren't that expensive.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by EricCartman
I wouldn't...

There is a lot of static and other "undesirable" sounds that come through a CB. I would just spend a few bucks on a new speaker. Besides... that way you can still listen to your stereo too.

Cartman
Yep, I wouldn't either. I'd get a external speaker with that radio for sure.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Hoss98
Well I am new to CB's but I got the Cobra 29, the power chord, mic, mic hanger, and a 27" mag mount all for $55 from a buddy so I figures I would just go with that. Another friend of mine is big into CBs and he has the same one as me. He said his didnt reach far untill he tuned it just right and he runs an external speaker on his too. Its super powerful and he said he could help me fix mine like that.

Im wondering though I have an after market radio with an external auxillary jack. Do you think I can just plug the CB into that instead of buying a speaker? I already have a cable to do it I just dont wanna fry anything or blow any speakers.
Well, for that deal I would have bought it too. I think I sold just my Cobra 29 night watch one for $100 or $110 or something. It sold for $110 but I think that was with shipping too. That was just the radio, mic, mounting bracket for the radio and the mic. No antenna.

Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal and for that price you can easily add a external speaker. The only reason I didn't want to do that is I had no place to mount one that I liked. I also wanted more features than that radio had so I sold it to a guy on a online forum and upgraded to the Superstar which I've had since.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Hoss98
Professional

Yeh eventually I will probably get a bigger antenna and I might possibly get a better radio like one with the weather and disaster alerts and more power and all but I figured this is a good one to start out with and ill probably mount mine to the middle seat and get a speaker to go under the driver seat.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

i mounted my Cobra under my dash on the right of the shifter, great location for the radio, easy to reach, and i still have room for my brake controller
I have a Cobra 25 nightwatch CB
and my dad has a 29 Black Chrome edition, sweet looking radio, and they both work great, but we usually only use them on the farm, and when pulling trailers, and range is not a huge factor for the most part.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Hoss98
Professional

Yeh but my interior is different my drink holder is where you mounted yours so if i wanna still use it I gotta find a different place. I tried my setup out tonight and I know I can get at least 10 miles out of it. For now I think that will do.

Quick Reply: CB Radio