2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine coolant Temperature Sensor circuit High Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant Temperature Sensor circuit High Input

So I was getting trouble code P0117 which is Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high input I changed the coolant temperature sensor last night and than went to clear the code today and I am now getting code P0118 engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high input. The temperature gauge will also not operate now. I am completely lost at what it could be now whether it's simply a lose connection or maybe the connector it's self? I really don't want to have to give up and take it to a mechanic, I just want it fixed as it's my daily driver currently.

It's a 1998 Ram 1500, 5.9 V8.

*update*
If I start the truck and drive somewhere when i go to restart it I'll have to hold the gas at 600 RPM for a sec so it can idle. It's very odd behavior and I cannot find any info anywhere about what it can be. I though putting in a new coolant temperature sensor would of fixed my problems. Any Help????

Last edited by BigDubDiesel; 04-05-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
helms
All Star

SYMPTOM
P0118-ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH

WHEN MONITORED
With the ignition ON and battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts .

SET CONDITION
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Signal circuit voltage at the PCM goes above 4.94 volts for more than 3 seconds .

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Intermittent condition
ECT sensor signal circuit shorted to battery voltage
ECT sensor internal failure
ECT sensor signal circuit open
Sensor ground circuit open
PCM

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
helms
All Star
Old 04-05-2009, 02:33 AM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie

*update*
If I start the truck and drive somewhere when i go to restart it I'll have to hold the gas at 600 RPM for a sec so it can idle. It's very odd behavior and I cannot find any info anywhere about what it can be. I though putting in a new coolant temperature sensor would of fixed my problems. Any Help????

Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie

I talked to a mechanic today and he thought maybe the wiring is grounding somewhere but I'm really out of ideas as after a quick look I couldn't find anything????

Quick Reply: Engine coolant Temperature Sensor circuit High Input