2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Axle ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The newer dodges do not need the speedo corrected when the GEARS ONLY are changed. The speed is sensed by a sensor on the rear axle reading a tone ring at the side of the ring gear. So, what ever speed the ring gear is moving, the sensor is correctly reading it.

But, when the tire size is changed, that is when the computer needs to be recalibrated. And, on the older models (94-97 i think), a small sprocket for the speedo needs to be changed instead of the computer.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

olyelr is correct with his info.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Thanks for the reassurance aim... I knew I would get something right sooner or later

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 AM
metallijeffus123@yahoo.com

I hope your friends know this stuff pretty well. there are quite a few things that need to be exact to make sure it lasts and you dont tear up your gears. back lash, berring loads on the pinion shaft and on the carrier. also the pinion shims and carrier shims need to be within thousanths of an in. make sure to use gear paint to chech gear wear is centered. also if you ever need to know your gear ratio. count the teath on your ring gear and devide it by the number of teath on your pinion gear = gear ratio

Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Jacksoncove
Rookie

Originally Posted by metallijeffus123@yahoo.com
I hope your friends know this stuff pretty well. there are quite a few things that need to be exact to make sure it lasts and you dont tear up your gears. back lash, berring loads on the pinion shaft and on the carrier. also the pinion shims and carrier shims need to be within thousanths of an in. make sure to use gear paint to chech gear wear is centered. also if you ever need to know your gear ratio. count the teath on your ring gear and devide it by the number of teath on your pinion gear = gear ratio
Dude this thread is over 3 years old have another beer!

Quick Reply: Rear Axle ratio?