2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why the 180 degree thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Gary if your truck is running hot, take a few steps back and think about whats going on... get a temp sensing gun and measure the input & output ports of your radiator and then compare it to a truck that has no heating problem (from a cold start idle, let the t-stat open up first before measuring). if you get the same temp in but a hotter temp out, the either your rad has a plug in it or your clutch is not engaging fully on the fan.

edit: you should also check for exhaust in the coolant...
Two different radiators and a new clutch fan and I'm still having issue with it running hot. I've been through everything -- t-stat, water pump, heater core, you name it. When the outside temp gets above ~70 the truck runs hot, and when I tow, it's blowing coolant out of the overflow.

The *only* thing I can think of is a blocked water passage due to an incorrect head gasket; however, I'm damned certain I double checked to ensure that wouldn't happen.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

VW - i suspect you've already done this back some time ago, but have you ever drained/flushed your block (drain plugs behind motor mounts) to make sure there's no deposits built up in there ?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Is there a thread already on this? I dont want to get off topic from the OP's problem...

Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I think there are several threads on VW's overheating issues.

Your thermostat regulates Minimum engine temp not max temp.
You might get a very slight power increase from a 180 stat but most likely at a cost to economy. It doesn't make your engine run better...
Very over rated in my opinion, but hey give it a shot.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

not that it's over rated... it is a cheep mod. the more mods you have the better it show's itself. I took my modded 5.9 and swapped in the 195 and did not like it 1 bit. took it back out after about 2 weeks. did not see any noticeable change in mileage but the performance was affected.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Cdorlack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the stat in my 97 ram 5.2. The stat I pulled out of the truck was a 195 degree and I replaced it with a 180. I have ok heat when I'm on the gas but when the truck is at idle the heat sucks also to my temp guage sits at 180 my question is why won't the temp get up to 200 any why won't my top radiator hose get hard and hot but it's hot just not hard and I can take the radiator cap off after I just got done driving for 30 min with no color spraying out and the coolant is not hot on the left if the radiator.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

A warmer engine DOES run more efficient (Within limits, I'm not talking about overheating of course). Why would car manufacturers run pressurized cooling systems if they wanted their engines to run well below the boiling point of the coolant? You'll notice that all manufacturers aim for that sweet spot just above the boiling point of water. This isn't coincidence. Keyword here: Efficiency (which also implies long service life).

Why's the 180 stat better you ask?

Now, if you're after performance, assuming you've got the correct modifications, a 180 stat could be exactly what you need. Cooler air is dense, and you want to warm it as little as possible when it's scrambling for the next available cylinder. A cooler running engine is also less prone to detonation, which can be tough to troubleshoot, so most people swap to a lower temperature stat with positive results.

rabbler is correct, your t-stat controls your *minimum* operating temperature. Most of the time, this also co-relates to your engine's final operating temperature, given a properly functioning cooling system (and no 'under the hood gremlins' like VW has ).

-JT

Old 11-29-2010, 02:55 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VW- have you ever looked at your torque converter as a possible issue with your overheating issue?

I just read an article on proper TC stall selection, and the guy makes a great case for overheating because the wrong TC was chosen, or the TC is malfunctioning.. If you are interested in pursuing this, I can get you a link.. Or, you can just google "Stall Speed" and likely read the same thing I did.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
justfrfun
Rookie

The hotter the engine runs the better the burn. Till heads warp. Check ac condenser and radiator cooling fins The radiator on both of my truck were plugged. Back washed fin and watch the dirt and those tiny little rocks come out. Worked great on one truck and was the cause of cracked heads on the other witch is under construction. Both will yield 195 stats.the 2wd will get the electric fan kit.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM
jungle

I thought I remember reading long ago that certain cylinders run hotter than others. This lead to pinging in those particular cylinders. One fix was to simply put a lower temp t-stat in.

I do know that my 5.2l seems happier when towing w/ the 180 in vs the 195; I do have to swap it out in the winter if I want decent heat in the cabin (but I think the shop that did the heater/evaporator core messed up the blend door or something...but that is another issue).

Quick Reply: Why the 180 degree thermostat?