2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
blake258
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues

I did a bit of searching, but I really didn't find anything definitive.
the problems Im experiencing are:

reverse works until you give it gas

Drive works but will slip then "catch". this is only if I give it a bit of gas to begin with, if I get on it REAL slow, its fine

1 & 2 gears (on staulk) work fine

shifting points seem strange, like it wont downshift or upshift, but only sometimes.

4WD light is on, even though its not in 4WD (i dont think) and the Brake light is on even though thte parking brake isnt set, and the ABS light is on.

I just picked this truck up for real cheap and expecting to put some money into it, but as little as possible. TIA for your help, I know what forums are like, and I am a noob to this one.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 PM
JackJ
Captain

First off, welcome.

Then, check the tranny fluid if it low or to high it will screw up the shifting (also what is "staulk").

Then, check the codes by taking it in somwhere, Pep-Boys will do it for free. As for the 4wd light, there is a way to check it, if I remember right the only way the 4wd light will come on is if the vacum is engaged.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 AM
ttaylor

Dont know if this will help,but my 99 ram had the abs,brake,and check engine lights on and when I replaced the speed sensor in the trany and the rear end they all went away.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM
blake258

hmm, my CEL is not illuminated, Could It really only be that the fluid is old/too high/too low for the tranny issues? any good sources for tranny filters and pan gaskets and fluid?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 AM
hutch1973
Captain

What year truck do you have? Have you just gone through and checked all fluid levels? How many miles on the truck? Also, how much have you driven it since buying it?

Old 04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I would say since you have lamps illuminated you have sensor/pcm issue. I don't know the year of your ram, which also makes diagnosis dicey on the internet, but if you have a 46RE which is controled by electronics, your speed sensor may be the issue. You can't always go by a CEL, or wait for the fault to cycle through several start run cycles before tripping your code. I believe you can test the speed sensor and that may be a good place to start.
It could be a faulty module as well.
Are far as mechanics go, if your fluid is old, sludgy, or burnt, you could have several issues. High mileage is a factor in the mechanical destruction of these trannies even with the best maintenance. At the risk of being long winded, other factors/causes could be (in no order) plugged filter, check valve, cooler, faulty pressure switch (which controls the fluid flow), burnt bands/drums, and even your TPS.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 04-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: tranny issues