2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water in tranny help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009 | 07:00 PM
nickkendall
|
Rookie
Default water in tranny help please

my truck went through water that was over the top of my tires and i think i may have gotten water in my transmission is this possible?
i have driven it and it drove normal and shifts the perfect but i was checking everything over and noticed the transmission fluid is way up on the dipstick and was more pink then red
i pulled the pan off and drained it will i be able to fill it up and will all the water be out or do i need to get it flushed or is there anything i can do myselfe? the transmission was just redone and had the fluid changed not even 500 miles ago so i just want to make sure to be on the safe side
anyone else ever have this problem?
would water and transmission fluid mix together and make it lighter? i though water and oil didn't mix?

Last edited by nickkendall; 04-12-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2009 | 07:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the transmission is sealed up to the top of the dipstick, which is way up. so i don't think there would be any water in there. i've never seen water in a trans, so i don't know what the color would be. mix up a little bit on purpose and see how it looks.

if you do have water (which i doubt), you'd need to do a flush to get it out of the cooler, valve body, torque converter, etc. i'd also think it would shift like $hit.

a more likely concern will be your front diff. mine gets a little water in it when i take it in deep water. its no emergency, but check it one of these days.

Old 04-12-2009 | 10:23 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

My nephew's son got water in his tranny (I don't know how) and it went south. Had to be gone through including torque converter.

Old 04-14-2009 | 09:26 PM
nickkendall
|
Rookie

i had heard that there is a breather on top of the transmission and i am assuming that is where the water may have gotten in as it did not get in through the dip stick..? anyone else gotten water in theres b4?

Old 04-14-2009 | 11:01 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I just finished rebuilding my 46RE back in December. There is a small "breather" valve on the top of the oil pump on the inside of the "bell housing". The only way to get water in through that valve would be to basically fully submerge your trans. Like I said, it is right at the top of the pump in the housing. That is the only way I could think of you being able to get water in there. Everything else should be sealed up pretty well. The Torque Converter seats with a seal, the dipstick tube seats with a seal, the transfer case/driveshaft has a seal. You get the point.

Old 04-15-2009 | 12:56 AM
helms
All Star

ATF with water in it will look like strawberry milk, kind of pinkish and milky. if you got water in there, it may take a flush to get it all out, like said above, it will be everywhere. i would limit the driving until the trans is serviced, you could burn it out due to reduced line pressure.

ps, oil doesnt really mix with water, but when it is being churnned up by the pump and pressurized through the system it will mix up, if you leave it alone for a while they will seperate again.

Quick Reply: water in tranny help please