2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuning Options......

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Ninety5PoloZ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Options......

We have done alot of upgrades on my truck and have a nice list of stuff that will happen over the next few weeks.

But I have some questions about tuning.

Is there anyone that does mail order tunes for the dodge trucks? I know plenty of people that do it for the camaro and firebirds, but haven't seen very much for the trucks.

I'm not looking for an extensive tune, just getting my speedo right with new gears and tires, and getting the tranny shifting back to normal. I'm also adding headers and exhaust, modified kegger and TB, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

Or do I have to get a tuner? I know a tuner would be good as I plan on adding a cam and other performance upgrades, but the cost is out of range right now.

But what are some options for tuning a 98 ram truck?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
01DodgeRam1500
Professional

go with the sct it will be able to fully contribute any part into the tune and get the most hp and performance out of it contact hemifever he writes kicka** tunes that are great... and im getting mine from him as i plan on gettin lots more power mods

Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Kraiger
Veteran

+1 on SCT....i have a superchip and next year im going to start doing deeper mods to my truck, Im going to make the switch then....From everything i have heard SCT is the best...

Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you plan on major upgrades/mods, like supercharger/different cam/etc. etc., the SCT is the one you want. Custom tunes FTW.

If you plan on just bolt-ons and nothing else, the Superchips Flashpaq would probably be OK.

BTW, with these trucks, the computer has nothing to do with the gears. If you change gearing, you don't have to do anything with the computer. Tires, on the other hand, are obviously a different story if you want your speedo right.

Only problem with the SCT is, as of last time I checked, it cannot recalibrate your speedo for different size tires. The Superchips can, but its a "canned" tune, so it won't be as nice if you plan on major stuff.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
acsamples79
Veteran

jason is right, no speedo calibration, but the Tuner is DEFINETELY worth it, the SCT is bad as hell

Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Ninety5PoloZ
Rookie

So how do I get the speedo right? And basically the only thing I can do is save my money and get a tuner. What about a dyno tune? To me spending about ~$600 on something I may only use 1 time is kind of a waste. Can you rent the tuner, download the tune you need, and then send it back or is it like a hypertech that can only be used on 1 vehicle until the PCM is returned back to stock?

The biggest problem I have is that I have seen the hypertech tuner (IIRC) be used on numerious cars and was proven to actually cause a power loss, and it was done in a controlled enviroment on 3 different cars all on the same day, and the average power lost was 12hp.

I have plans for a cam in the future, also an intake and possible ported heads. Will more than likely keep the truck NA but may do a turbo down the road, but I just invested about $600 into headers and exhaust, so mabye a procharger in a few years but I really don't know.

Thanks for the input guys

Last edited by Ninety5PoloZ; 04-15-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Ninety5PoloZ
Rookie

And on top of it the SCT tuner is just a reflash. I can't believe that no one does reflashes for the dodge trucks. Thats all I needed for my car was a reflash. And I have a bigger cam, different gears, ported heads and intake, and so on. Granted a mail order tune is not perfect, but it gets you close enough so that you can drive it to a dyno to get it tuned

Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
FastHemis
Banned
Default FastHemis.com has the SCT Tuner for Dodge Ram for a Good Price

You should give www.fasthemis.com a try.

We have the SCT tuner for $379.95

http://www.fasthemis.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=99

The Diablosport Predator Tuner is our top seller for the tuners, but we carry SCT as well.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHemis

Thats not the SCT, thats a Superchips Flashpaq, like I have. SCT is a completely different tuner.
http://www.sctflash.com/

More specifically, for our 2nd gen trucks...
http://www.sctflash.com/DCXC2.php

The Diablosport Predator Tuner is our top seller for the tuners, but we carry SCT as well.
It doesn't look like it works for our older 5.2L/5.9L Magnum V8s, looks like its for the new HEMI engines, Cummins, and 3.5L V6.

Thanks for trying though, FastHemis!

Last edited by jasonw; 04-15-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Ninety5PoloZ
Rookie

Which would be great if I owned a newer truck. I own a '98 so the superchips is a no go, as well as the diablo. But the SCT would work, but for $379........

Quick Reply: Tuning Options......