2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaking Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Wheels?

I think my front left tire is making a squeaking sound. Could this be a bearing going out? Or is it just something normal? Its not a continuous squeak. Just consistently squeaks with every rotation. Once I reach around 20-30 mph, it stops. Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine used to squeak intermittently when I turned at all, even slightly, in any direction at low speeds. Turned out to be a u-joint, and then I discovered my ball joints need replacing too. I'd get it examined by a mechanic, or if you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, grab a Haynes manual and follow the procedure for checking the u-joints and ball joints and etc.

Not that hard to test them, I guess (learned later after I paid a mechanic to do it).

Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

Have you checked your brakes? Usually when brakes go bad they will "squeak" a little per rotation. When you get going faster the squeak seems to go away because of how fast you are going. I would check your squealer tab before jumping to a wheel bearing or anything like that.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 AM
helms
All Star

a seperated chord in the tire will squeak every rotation, i have had this a few times on smaller cars, sometimes you can see a deformity in the tire itself... sometimes not.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Wheels?