2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some advice from the Pro's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
ggesq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from the Pro's

Hey all,

Just joined your community today (yep- noob here) and I was reading through some old threads.

I am looking for a used pickup truck and came across one on craigslist. It's a 1995 RAM, stick, 318 V8 and 4WD.

Problem with the truck is that it needs a new hood, bumper (and I'm assuming all the corresponding things that go along with these parts), driver side window does not go down and according to the seller, the throwout bearing is screeching pretty loud and needs to be changed. The damage to the front end is purely cosmetic.

I haven't driven it yet but the seller says it shifts great and has alot of clutch life left.

Can you guys give me some advice and guidance as to how much it would cost to get it looking and driving back to normal?

Are these trucks generally reliable? I know this is an online forum and people are going to post their issues w/ their own vehicles more often than people with no issues but I would like to hear the owners' response generally.

The seller is asking $1000 for the truck. Is it a good deal considering the repairs I would have to do?

I appreciate any advice you guys can provide.

Last edited by ggesq; 04-16-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Window probably needs a new motor...not too expensive. The throwout bearing I'm not sure...I have replaced one on a '73 Chevy, but I don't know how it relates to the Ram, but probably not too hard. I do know that the 318/5 spd combo seems to be a very desirable one among Ram owners. How many miles are on it? Drive it and see how it runs and take it to a mechanic to have it checked out if possible. $1000 sounds like a decent deal if it is mechanically sound. You can search the forum for information about typical Ram issues...there are a few.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles? the tranny's are notorious for taking a dump as well as the heads. They're prone to cracking. Honestly, I'd be very cautious since it's only $1000. Definitely get it checked out by a mechanic. All in all, it seems like a decent price. Oh, and by the way, WELCOME TO THE DF!!! Feel free to ask any questions!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

manual trans are good, and actually kind of hard to find.

to change the throwout bearing you just pull the trans and replace it. good time to check flywheel and replace clutch if its anywhere near due, which it might be. you can also live with a noisy throwout for a long time.

my opinion is that any truck that runs is worth $1000.

but, be careful, a hood, bumper, grill, will cost a bundle. check LMCtruck for new prices.

try to get it for $800-900.

don't buy the truck unless you are prepared to do your own maintenance. its not hard, but takes a little bit of effort. if you try and pay someone to do every little thing, it'll end up being a money pit. if you do it yourself, its not bad.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 AM
ggesq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the welcome and the advice. I'm going to call the guy in the morning and go test drive it. I'm also going to have a mechanic look at it as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:01 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
manual trans are good, and actually kind of hard to find.

to change the throwout bearing you just pull the trans and replace it. good time to check flywheel and replace clutch if its anywhere near due, which it might be. you can also live with a noisy throwout for a long time.

my opinion is that any truck that runs is worth $1000.

but, be careful, a hood, bumper, grill, will cost a bundle. check LMCtruck for new prices.

try to get it for $800-900.

don't buy the truck unless you are prepared to do your own maintenance. its not hard, but takes a little bit of effort. if you try and pay someone to do every little thing, it'll end up being a money pit. if you do it yourself, its not bad.
Since you have the tranny out, might as well do the freeze plugs while your in there!!!

Quick Reply: Need some advice from the Pro's