2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heres a weird one for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:07 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default heres a weird one for you guys

ok...so me and the wife after having an AWESOME DAY(sarcasm) went to fill up my tank. well, i filled it up too much and we were driving it along and got to wherever it was we were going and my check engine light came on. i checked the code and it came up code 31(EVAP canister thing) well i'm thinking that came up because i filled the tank up too much and it might have screwed things up. well we get done and get on the highway on our way home and i dont have overdrive! by that time i was cursing like it was cool. so we get home, i drop her off....shut the truck off, sit there to cool my temper a little bit and start it back up again. i take off for a drive and everything works again. no check engine light, i have OD. wtf? can anyone elaborate here?

p.s. sorry for the rant. bad day.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

oh and i'm getting a rattling noise that sounds like maybe a timing chain or something knocking against something. any ideas?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of over filling a tank before. There's a return / vent line and it will flow into that. More than that and it's pumping gas all over the ground. Is that what you did? If so, maybe it got a sensor or connector wet? That's what you're thinking?
No overdrive... I was thinking vacuum line but that doesn't seem right now. If the ECM doesn't get a good speed signal it will limit your speed as in it won't shift and go above 45. But those wires are at the t-case and a good ways away from the fuel door.
Rattling noise... depends on where it is coming from. It could be a bad cat, a bad exhaust connection, timing chain, t-case, gear, dog leash tired to your rear bumper...
I think you've got a couple of things popping up and they may all be unrelated.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Hoss98
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my over drive randomly not working. It started when I put 35s on the truck could that be the problem. My gauges have not been calibrated yet would that cause over drive to quit working?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss98
I have the same problem with my over drive randomly not working. It started when I put 35s on the truck could that be the problem. My gauges have not been calibrated yet would that cause over drive to quit working?

No...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
J415
Champion

I use to top off until I got a CEL. Turns out that when I was topping off, the remainder off the gas spilled over into my EVAP system. I had to change my charcoal canister and purge solenoid.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

YES, thats exactly what was happening to me...i got the evap code so that had to be it. do you think i'll have to change the canister and solenoid as well? this is the first time its done it

Quick Reply: heres a weird one for you guys