2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Summer is comming, A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer is comming, A/C problems

I had this problem last summer, and never got around to fixing it, then winter came and i didnt have to, lol. Now summer is comming and i need to deal with it.

any driving condition, max A/C or Regular A/C on, temp to max cool, fan to any position.

I will drive for about 10 minutes with cold air, then, for no reason the air will turn to outside air temp. the only way i can get it to go cold again is to turn the A/C off and leave it for about 5 minutes, then ill get 10 minutes out of it again. please help, i don't know much about A/C and i would like to try and diagnose it myself before i have to take it to a shop.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Open the hood and turn on the ac and see if the compressor keeps running after that 10 minutes. It sounds like it's just on the edge of being too low on 134A. And eventually it will just start cycling when it gets too low, or not turn on at all.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did the same thing but it didn't ever even get cold
recharged it and now its cold as a witches titty

Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I forgot to add , that something is probably leaking. Although at this point it seems fairly minor.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

had the same problem and I ran some "Red Angel" stop leak with a dye injector and a can of R-134a. Seems to have held up pretty well.

Some guys will tell you to NEVER add an additive to the A/C system. I tend to agree about the cans with stop leak in them already, but I did some research on the Red Angel additive and a few guys that used to post here and that have shops that do A/C repair OK'ed it.

one thing I would suggest is invest in a good set of manifold gauges and use them when you recharge the system. Add a little R-134a and let the system run and stabilize before adding more. If you over do it, you'll blow it out the pressure release valve and it'll scare the **** out of you. Sounds like a machine gun.

Quick Reply: Summer is comming, A/C problems