2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Dodge Ram Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
silverboost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dodge Ram Owner

Hey guys, I just picked up an 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l with 170k miles. It needs some minor work but other than that it seems like a great truck. I have a couple questions though. is there anything I should look out for? And also wanted your opinion on the programmers for this truck. Are they worth it? Is it a noticable difference? Thanks alot for any input.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Since you just got her, it probably wouldn't hurt to change the fluid's and do a tuneup since you may not know how long ago it had been done. Most recommend not to get a transmission flush if you have a high mileage tranny so I would do everything except that. (diff's, transfer case, oil change etc). Other than that... if she is running fine, don't look for problems As far as the tuners, they are ok. Some notice tons of powers, others dont. The consensus on the forum is to stay away from the "jet chip". I personally have tried the hypertech two years ago and wasn't a fan. I now have the superchips 3815 and use it now to calibrate my speedometer at the moment. I splurged for the performance tune and did notice a difference, but I can't afford the premium fuel at the moment.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 04-22-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Welcome to DF. If you search the site youll quickly find the common problems for our rams. Save your pennies for the tranny. Unless that was rebuilt recently with 170k on her that trannys prolly gonna go soon. Look for rust on the bottom edge of the doors, thats common. Others will chime in.

Programmers, the SCT is one of the top programmers. Complete custom tunes for your ram with w/e mods youve done. Superchips is also another good tuner, more of a "canned" generic tune for our rams, but still at good tuner that will take of the "death flash" <---- youll find out

Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Welcome to the Dodge Forum. I got 165k miles myself. These are great trucks. Good luck. And I agree i wouldnt touch the tranny fluid if it appears to shift ok, I dont touch mine, I'm on the original as well.

Quick Reply: New Dodge Ram Owner