2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM update or tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, veeery big difference. Made all of my changes come to life. Gave the truck more ***** than i thought it would ever have. Killed the death flash, no more bogging and powerloss.
I concur whole-heartedly! My truck went from driving like a sluggish tank to feeling like, as I believe someone once posted, the truck feels "lighter" since it has sooo much more throttle response and low end torque, not to mention the high end power!!

Give Hemifever an email and he can answer any questions about SCT that you have. He also readjusts your tunes for free as much as you need as long as you buy the programmer from him. All adjusted tunes are given to you through email, so once he emails it to you, you're only a few minutes away from uploading your new tune each time you get one. VERY CONVENIENT!!! He really is great to deal with.

Lil ping at WOT as it shifts down but its still good.
Not to tell you what to do Mowhawk, but you may want to have Hemifever adjust the program back a little to avoid that pinging, or figure out what exactly is causing it... too much of that and you could damage something... Just a suggestion from a conserned fellow DF member...

Old 04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
PartsChaser
Professional

Sounds to me like I might be trading up for the SCT and giving my JET chip the ol' boot. It woke mine up a little, but not as much as I was hoping. I dont have many mods done, so maybe thats the limiting factor. Definitely notice that it runs better on 91 octane (as it calls for) but it still feels like a tank some times.

Thanks for the info though, I will be emailing Hemifever for sure!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
julianvdmeer
Rookie

Me to i email Hemifever for sure too.
Here in the netherlands we only have 95 octane, what is normal for the trucks?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
ron333
Captain

I believe they were designed for 87octane minimum, but that is here in the US. Things may be different in the Netherlands, but that shouldn't matter for the SCT. Actually, it may be of some benefit to you because he may be able to advance the timing a little more than usual because of the higher octane ratings available to you, but check with him to be sure.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Europe/Asia measures octane differently than the USA and Canada. 95 over there is equivalent to 91 here in the states.

Recommended for these trucks (unless you have a tuner) is 87 U.S., or 91-92 in Europe/Asia. More octane won't necessarily hurt anything, but it won't help at all unless you have a tune or programmer to take advantage of it.

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
The sct tuner for our rams is the 9550 ( i have one too). The 3815 i believe is superchips tuner, also the year for the SCT is 96<=.
Yup, the SCT tuner is 1996-2001, the Superchips (3815 is the "old" one now, the new one that replaced it is the 3865) tuner only works 1998-2001. The new description of the 3865 now states that it won't work on any Ram older than 1999, but I bet it would work the same on a 1998 as a 3815 would.

Regardless, if I keep replacing parts and troubleshooting my truck, and it turns out there's a problem with my Superchips tuner causing my hesitation/stumbling issues, I am going to be one POed dude (Superchips tells me its something wrong with the truck, not the tune.) and Hemifever is my next stop.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 AM
julianvdmeer
Rookie

I waited a few weeksbefore i posted my review.

About three weeks ago i installad my hypertch powerprogrammer, and after drove it for a few weeks i love it.

The gasmileage is much better now, and the truck runs smoother and over the whole rev the truck is much stronger and faster.

When i drive about 120 kmp and hit the gas the truck runs very easy and fast till the 190kmp.

So till now i love the hypertech and its worth every cent off it.

The hypertech is so good and there is so much more power in my truck that i burnt my tranny yesterday so i need a new one now.... so my other topic..

Quick Reply: PCM update or tuning