2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen back seat in a 1st gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
JMNeel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen back seat in a 1st gen?

Hey 2nd gen guys! I have a 1990 W150 club cab and I hate those stupid jump seats.... so i bought a back seat out of a 2nd gen 2500. I got the back rest piece and the bottom seat with the brackets that are attached to the seat (nothing else).
I was wondering if i could get any of you guys to post up some picks of how these seats are mounted in 2nd gens so i can get an idea of how to mount mine and what i need to fab to do so.
Thanks A Lot!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Not the best shot, but this will at least give you some idea of how they are mounted. This is a shot from when I had the interior removed for a stereo install in a 2001.

Have boxes around the mounting points. Basically it's this... the back of the cab will just have a 'loop'. The base mounting bracket consists of a slotted hole towards the rear of the truck, and two bolt locations towards the front of the bracket.

The 'back' of your seat should have metal 'hooks' on the upper art of it that will drop into the loops. The base bracket on your seat should have a round metal tab towards the rear of the seat, and 2 holes towards the front that will be the mounting points for the bolts to drop through into the base mounting brackets.

Installation is simple enough, you drop the seat down from a few inches above the cab mounted loops, and let the tabs/hooks on the back of the seat engage. The round tab on the bottom of your seat bracket will drop into the slotted opening on the base mounting bracket on the cab. Then it's as simple as dropping two bolts a side through the seat mount into the top of the base mounting bracket.

Sorry if it's hard to follow, and also realize the picture isn't the greatest. If you need something better and others can't produce it, I could take some better pics this weekend.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
JMNeel
Rookie

VERY COOL! Thanks so much!

Mine, being a first gen, doesnt have any of the brackets that yours has so I will be fabricating those brackets. It looks like the back "loops" will be the easy part but i will have to find a way to recreate the brackets on the floor board to fit my truck.
But that picture helps a lot!

If someone happens to have the dimensions of the floor board brackets and mounting locations that would be AMAZING if not or if its too much work i understand. I am going to try to find one in a junk yard too but im not having much luck with that.

Thanks Again Hutch!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
hutch1973
Captain

If you don't get any more replies on this by Friday night, just drop me a note and I'll do it Saturday, otherwise I'll probably forget. I'd do it now but my truck is at the office for the week, won't have it home until Friday night. I can get whatever info you need, only takes 5 minutes to pop the seat out when you know what you're doing.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
JMNeel
Rookie

AWESOME! sounds good. I will let you know later on this week.
Thanks a lot!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
JMNeel
Rookie

Hutch - Using your pic I think i can get it figured out. Thanks for all the help and i will let you know how it turns out.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Sounds good. I'll have my truck home in a few hours, so if you need any other info, dimensions, let me know.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen back seat in a 1st gen?