2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Undedr hoof light blUb

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 PM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undedr hoof light blUb

My under the hood light bulb has burned out. I have removed the "fixture" (which was conveniently held on with a couple of zip ties) and it looks like it's a capsule light with a loop on each end to attach to the contacts. Anyone have any idea what number this bulb is? If there was one on this bulb it's long gone. I was going to have my wife stop at Hell Mart on her way home tonight to pick one up. I'm currently grounded with my little daughter sleeping in the other room.

Grassy-***
Chris

Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

www.sylvania.com

Hate their bulbs, they are crap, but their automotive replacement guide is very handy. The bulb part number for the hood lamp should be 561.

2001 DODGE Ram Pickup
High & low beam headlamp (non-Sport models)
Low beam headlamp (Sport models only)

Parking light
3157A

Front turn signal
3157A

Rear turn signal
1157 (earlier model years)
3157 (later model years)

Tail light
3157 (later model years)

Stop light
3157 (later model years)

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light

License plate
1155 (earlier model years)
168 (later model years)

Back up light
1156 (earlier model years)
3157 (later model years)

Front sidemarker
3157A

Rear sidemarker

Ash tray

Glove box

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Instrument-general
PC194
PC74

Check engine indicator
PC74

Hi-beam indicator
PC194

Seat belt indicator
PC74

Brake warning
PC194

Automatic transmission indicator
PC74

Directional signal indicator
PC194

Ignition switch

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 PM
ophidia
Captain

Excellent. Thanks for the pointer and the info.

Did my well written and grammatically correct subject attract you to my thread?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 AM
ophidia
Captain

Regarding Sylvania bulbs, I typically don't pay much attention to what brand of bulbs I get for simple things. I do, however, use and like the Sliverstar bulbs. I've read all of the horror stories about reduced life with them, but I've never had problems. I also like the color of the light they give off at night-- I feel I can see better with them than I can with standard halogens.

As always, YMMV. I do think they're more expensive than what they really need to be, though.

What headlight bulbs do you prefer? I'm certainly willing to try something new.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

In my experience, Sylvania bulbs tend to always last shorter than almost any other brand, even the no-name "ricer" brand bulbs that I used to try. For example, I used a 1156 bulb of theirs for a taillight in my 1995 Dakota once, burned out within two months. Bought a GE bulb, lasted for years up to the point I traded it in for my current Ram.

Their SilverStars appear to give off more light, but they actually don't. I've compared them to GE Nighthawks and Philips TrueVision. They look whiter/cooler than the GE and Philips bulbs, but both the GEs and Philips go farther and light up the road better.

The SilverStars are the only Sylvania bulbs I've had that lasted a while, so I guess I'll give them that.

I currently use Eurolite bulbs, made by Toucan Industries. Good units. I've rewired my lights (relays from the battery, direct) and use 80w/100w bulbs, which helps a lot as well. Nice white without going to the useless blue, and brighter by far than the traditional GE, Philips, or Sylvania units. Only thing nicer, IMO, is HIDs, which I will eventually, some day when I get around to it, start on. Viper's the guy to talk to about HIDs, there isn't much he doesn't know about them.

I believe Hometheaterman uses Fareinheit bulbs and likes them, but I can't find those in my area to test them.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

My .02....+1 on the silverstars. They are ok but not worth the money. They are VERY moisture sensitive and will not tolerate even the slightest amount in a housing. In my outboard lights I've had much better luck with cyberwhites.
Thanks Jason, I will checkout the GE and Phillips bulbs when I change out my headlight housings.
Sigh...if only GE appliances lasted as long as thier lightbulbs.

Quick Reply: Undedr hoof light blUb