2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cherry Bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:51 PM
tigerhornet
|
Default Cherry Bomb?

hey.
right now i've got dual exhaust on my truck, and as far as i can tell, no muffler at all. it has a cat, but if there's a muffler somewhere i must be overlooking it. doesn't really seem that loud, but still.

that being said, i was considering getting a cherry bomb or something similar. any suggestions? i think the pipes are 2.5" right now, could be off by a little bit. i'm willing to drop back to single exhaust if it would be easier to install.

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:58 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I've never been a big fan of them but a lot of people like them. You'd know it if your muffler was missing. It would be very loud.

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:58 AM
ron333
Captain

Glass pack or their version of a chambered muffler. (Cherry Bomb Extreme)

I used to have a 360 with no muffler, and a Y-pipe in its place. The duals ran straight out the back. It sounded good, not too loud, but not that quiet either. If you decide on either glass packs or the CBExtreme, you may end up with that "cackle" or "popping" sound to the exhaust note.

I really like the way my CBExtreme sounds, but I had to change the setup several times to get it the way it is now. I have Pace Setter LTs that run into a 3" y-pipe, then immediately into a 24" long, 3" diameter glass pack, then immediately into a dumped si/so 3" CBExtreme. This ends up just in front of the rear axle and behind the extended portion of the cab. The glasspack acts like a resonator to eliminate the "cackle" sound. The sound is a powerful low frequency roar, and no "cackle". If I were to add any tailpipe to it, the sound gets quieter, the frequency goes up a bit, and the cackle returns. I decided to stay with the CBE because it sounds different than the FM series, NOT that FM is bad, it's just I wanted something a little different. I'm very happy with my setup now!

It just depends on how you want it to sound. A glasspack will make it pop, and the CBE will do the same if it has any length at all of tail pipe after it, but with a different tone to it than a glasss pack.

Old 05-04-2009 | 09:54 AM
lv360ram
Captain

cherry bombs? the thread title was misleading (see 5ft arms)
When I was a kid my parents had some friends that lived in South Carolina. Their son called me "a yankee from the north" Well yankees couldn't buy the "good" fireworks north of Virginia I think. So, everytime we visited South Carolina we would buy a load of the "good" fireworks and the best ones were cherry bombs. My dad was the only one to light those things because they would leave a 3-4" hole in the lawn.
Ah, the good old days.

Oh, and back on topic - consider a magnaflow bullet instead of cherry bomb.

Quick Reply: Cherry Bomb?