2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Severe Hesitation/Stumbling for 5 Minutes every start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Another note...

If I recall correctly, Squirrels problem was temperature related. Mine seems to be independent of temperature, does it hot or cold. Every four-five minutes, she corrects herself except at WOT above 45-50 mph, where pinging occurs.
I didn't realize that you didn't do the plenum gasket yourself and say take a look at that next. What I ment by that is if I perform work on anything myself, I pay very close attention to detail. Did they torque the bolts down in the correct pattern? Did they forget to put the gasket in? Did they even use the new pan and bolts? etc. Just saying you have clearly taken care of everything outside the motor pretty much. Do the vaccum test when you get a chance and see what it comes up with.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 05-08-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but from your information, it sounds like you are having an issue when the truck is first started. If thats correct, perhaps your PCM is running in "open loop" mode until a certain sensors reach operating temps. It doesn't explain the hot start issue, so may be more than one problem. I wonder if your pre heaters in your O2 sensors are functioning properly. I know that should throw a code, but maybe they are just outside that parameter. Also, is the IAT in the stock location, and is it clean?
I also would test your TPS voltage. I have tested sevral BW TPS before and have found some that are pretty sloppy. Brand name doesn't mean much in the aftermarket anymore.
I'd stop using the Injector cleaners and seafoam. Both use a kerosene base, have more base oil in them and while they're great solvents, don't burn like gas. You've done about 5 years worth of cleaning in those two tanks, and may start doing more harm. If Chevron's additive is availible use that instead.

I 'm not sure I'd blame the tuner, but I'm positive I read that a "box" tuner like Superchips is for stock or mildly modified vehicles only.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-08-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Last night I happened to check the Flashpaq forums, and discovered a gentleman on there with a 3815 and a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L V8 like mine having identical issues with his latest update to his programmer. It was running fine before, and he updated it like I did, and now has the same issues.

I felt bad at that point, I've spent about $200-$300 in sensors and equipment testing so far. Not a terrible lot, but still wish I could have it back. Then I talked to the guy who was told the same thing at first that I was... its not the 3815, its your truck. He went to the $tealership and spent about $2500 there having them replace the PCM and various sensors, not solving the issue. So I don't feel quite as bad now.

Anyway, now that there are multiple people reporting the issue, Superchips is going to take "special readings" from our two tuners, and attempt to figure out whats going on. I have the truck at stock right now, and that'll be OK for a bit.

Otherwise, here comes the SCT.

As far as the plenum goes, I checked it slightly by looking down past the butterflies. I actually installed it onto the modified manifold myself, torqued it myself, before handing it over to the shop. Broke two bolts in the process... note to self, don't buy cheap $20 torque wrenches.

The shop (Meineke) said they checked the torque as well, just to make sure, and complimented me that the torque was good.

Last edited by jasonw; 05-08-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine ultimate solution was a Bad coolant temp sensor. You've replaced that.

I'm not 100% sure, but a crank sensor or coil pick up (camshaft sensor) that goes out of spec will cause the PCM to lose sync and cause a similar problem.

See if you can get a scanner at an auto parts store and check you sync signal. If it's outside of +/- 4, you probably want to get it reset. It's kind of a dicey DIY without your own scanner as you'l need to twist the Disty until the sync signal reads 0.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:32 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

So Superchips dropped me (and the other guy having this issue) a message yesterday, asked us to update our tuners, they believe they solved the issue (but did not state what the issue was). Updated it last night.

Programmed the truck this afternoon, 91 Performance. Nope, problem still there. Its only about half as bad, but still very clearly there. This confirms that the problem is 100% with the tuner, I believe.

Again, depressed over having a $300 piece of equipment sitting here that is useless. Messaged them that it didn't work, the other guy posted that his actually gave him some error about how he doesn't have a stock tune or something, so it won't even program his truck now (but before last night's update, no problems with the programming phase itself).

The Superchips guys most likely have today through Monday off due to Memorial Day, so I will wait and see what they say Tuesday/Wednesday. This is their last chance before I sell the blasted thing and shell out the extra cash for a SCT. I messaged Hemifever today as well, asking for a quote.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:51 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

If I were you I would contact the people at Superchips and tell them that not only does it not work right but their attempts to fix it did not correct the issue and you can't even use their tuner on your vehicle making it useless and that you would like your money back including any taxes you paid plus shipping if there was any. If they give you a hard time you might want to mention how much money you and the other guy have spent chasing down an issue that is directly related to their product and that you could seek reimbursement for costs incurred. Just my .02.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
If I were you I would contact the people at Superchips and tell them that not only does it not work right but their attempts to fix it did not correct the issue and you can't even use their tuner on your vehicle making it useless and that you would like your money back including any taxes you paid plus shipping if there was any. If they give you a hard time you might want to mention how much money you and the other guy have spent chasing down an issue that is directly related to their product and that you could seek reimbursement for costs incurred. Just my .02.
Thanks, but I didn't purchase the tuner directly from them, so all they would say (as far as tuner refund) would be, best case, to go through the reseller I purchased it from. I may try to get a RMA and a new 3865 out of the deal, see if that works better for some reason (although I am 99% sure its the tunes database and not the tuner).

Worst case, the thing is going on here and on eBay. $250 if I put it on eBay (I would of course offer it here first for cheaper). I would put a disclaimer on it so that you guys avoid it.

I like the customer service guy I'm working with (Ron is his name), but if he suggests just once that its my truck again (or the other guy's truck), like he did in the beginning, and not their tuner when its been made clear now that it is, you guys will see the tuner on the auction block. And I've told him before, I will sell it if this isn't fixed in a somewhat timely manner.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:56 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I still don't understand why they can't put the old database on your tuners just to check and see if it was the problem. That facinates me in itself. If they don't help you out by tuesday or wednesday... I would definately tell ron that you are tired of screwing around waiting for something to happen, and demand to have exactly what I have (db and firmware) and... see what happens. At worst, your in the same position your already in not having a working tune. At best you get a functioning programmer for now and most likely can resell to all trucks (instead of hemi in your current spot) if you did decide to upgrade to SCT in the future. I know it is easier said than done, but I wish you luck as always.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is another idea for ya. There is a guy over in the 3rd gen section that I believe works for super chips. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...chips-tom.html
You might try getting a hold of him and seeing if he can pull a couple of strings for ya.
Just a thought......

Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thanks, Laramie, I dropped him a PM.

And thanks PCFixerPro, I will keep your advice in mind. I'm starting to get fed up with this, obviously, so lets hope they find the error after Memorial Day.

Quick Reply: Severe Hesitation/Stumbling for 5 Minutes every start...