DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Headlights stuck on (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/200169-headlights-stuck-on.html)

tmills65 05-10-2009 04:59 PM

Headlights stuck on

I am usually pretty good about figuring these things out but this has me stumped. My high beam headlights are stuck on. The marker lights are not on just the headlights and the highbeam indicator on the dash. They stay on even when the engine is off and the key is out.

I've tried relays and fuses. The only thing that turns the lights off is to pull the fuse under hood.

Any help?

96 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT 4x4

dhvaughan 05-10-2009 05:16 PM

headlight switch in dash is a common failure point. available at autozone, advance, etc. it shorts out internally, sometimes staying on like you're seeing.

atc250r 05-10-2009 07:44 PM

If you're truck is equipped with Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), then the problem is likely the DRL module. It is located under the hood on the left fender. Feel the black box and it may be smokin hot. Just unplug it until you have time to replace it. Brights indicator on the dash will stay on, but atleast the headlights will be off.

tmills65 05-13-2009 08:46 AM

Thanks, it was the DRL module. Unplugged the module and headlights now shut-off witohut pulling fuses.

Any idea if this module is available on the aftermarket or is it a "dealer only" item?

dsertdog56 05-13-2009 03:57 PM

Dealer or salvage yard, and the dealer isn't cheap. If you find it on the aftermarket could you let us know? Theres more than a few of us who have a DRL module

arnold.avila 08-12-2015 05:03 PM

Damn! I have this problem too and I was just at the junk yard (230 km away from my location), and I need to pass a provincial insp...

arnold.avila 08-16-2015 11:50 PM

I removed my drl module and took it apart. I fought with the silicone for a while, but i managed to remove the circuit board from the case. I found a "button" capacitor that was loose because the transistor got burned and got too hot that it melted the solder off the transistor and capacitor. Looking for a replacement transistor and capacitor (I work for an aircraft maintenance organization, so I might be lucky an find a replacement easily) and if I manage to get it working I'll let you guys know.

LoneWolfArcher 08-17-2015 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by arnold.avila (Post 3259644)
I removed my drl module and took it apart. I fought with the silicone for a while, but i managed to remove the circuit board from the case. I found a "button" capacitor that was loose because the transistor got burned and got too hot that it melted the solder off the transistor and capacitor. Looking for a replacement transistor and capacitor (I work for an aircraft maintenance organization, so I might be lucky an find a replacement easily) and if I manage to get it working I'll let you guys know.

Good old component level troubleshooting! I haven't done that in years.

arnold.avila 08-19-2015 11:22 PM

Unfortunately, the transistor that got burned, melted a little and the part number isnt legible. All I know is that the transistor is a TO220, but i dunno of its an npn or pnp or anything else. So if any of you have a drl module schematic where it shows the module's components that would be awesome.

Aaron Desforge 08-26-2019 09:10 AM

DRL issue

Originally Posted by tmills65 (Post 1665765)
Thanks, it was the DRL module. Unplugged the module and headlights now shut-off witohut pulling fuses.

Any idea if this module is available on the aftermarket or is it a "dealer only" item?

Were you able to fix the issue?