2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM
tmills65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Headlights stuck on

I am usually pretty good about figuring these things out but this has me stumped. My high beam headlights are stuck on. The marker lights are not on just the headlights and the highbeam indicator on the dash. They stay on even when the engine is off and the key is out.

I've tried relays and fuses. The only thing that turns the lights off is to pull the fuse under hood.

Any help?

96 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT 4x4

Old 05-10-2009, 05:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

headlight switch in dash is a common failure point. available at autozone, advance, etc. it shorts out internally, sometimes staying on like you're seeing.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're truck is equipped with Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), then the problem is likely the DRL module. It is located under the hood on the left fender. Feel the black box and it may be smokin hot. Just unplug it until you have time to replace it. Brights indicator on the dash will stay on, but atleast the headlights will be off.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM
tmills65

Thanks, it was the DRL module. Unplugged the module and headlights now shut-off witohut pulling fuses.

Any idea if this module is available on the aftermarket or is it a "dealer only" item?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Dealer or salvage yard, and the dealer isn't cheap. If you find it on the aftermarket could you let us know? Theres more than a few of us who have a DRL module

Old 08-12-2015, 05:03 PM
arnold.avila
Amateur

Damn! I have this problem too and I was just at the junk yard (230 km away from my location), and I need to pass a provincial insp...

Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 PM
arnold.avila
Amateur

I removed my drl module and took it apart. I fought with the silicone for a while, but i managed to remove the circuit board from the case. I found a "button" capacitor that was loose because the transistor got burned and got too hot that it melted the solder off the transistor and capacitor. Looking for a replacement transistor and capacitor (I work for an aircraft maintenance organization, so I might be lucky an find a replacement easily) and if I manage to get it working I'll let you guys know.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:21 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by arnold.avila
I removed my drl module and took it apart. I fought with the silicone for a while, but i managed to remove the circuit board from the case. I found a "button" capacitor that was loose because the transistor got burned and got too hot that it melted the solder off the transistor and capacitor. Looking for a replacement transistor and capacitor (I work for an aircraft maintenance organization, so I might be lucky an find a replacement easily) and if I manage to get it working I'll let you guys know.
Good old component level troubleshooting! I haven't done that in years.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 PM
arnold.avila
Amateur

Unfortunately, the transistor that got burned, melted a little and the part number isnt legible. All I know is that the transistor is a TO220, but i dunno of its an npn or pnp or anything else. So if any of you have a drl module schematic where it shows the module's components that would be awesome.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Aaron Desforge
Default DRL issue

Originally Posted by tmills65
Thanks, it was the DRL module. Unplugged the module and headlights now shut-off witohut pulling fuses.

Any idea if this module is available on the aftermarket or is it a "dealer only" item?

Were you able to fix the issue?

Quick Reply: Headlights stuck on