2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

long tubes headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 02:35 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

For real. If you're after noise get some zoomies that come straight up out of the hood. Not gonna get any louder than that.

Old 05-12-2009 | 02:39 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

I dont remember where its from ( ill look) but there was an article where a few guys from mopar did an engine dyno of shorties, manafold, and long tube. Both shorties and long tube produced decent power (shorties gave 7, longs gave 9) Shorties produced a decent gain with just that bolt on but they also produced it in the higer RPM range where long tube are a little lower but still really help higher up there.

If you wanna run shorties or long tube and you dont wanna run a "true duel" system you need an x pipe or H pip, you dont need one for shorties or longs based on the length of the headers. You can easily do both.

In EITHER CASE THOUGH, get ceramic coated. If you going to spend the money, do it once. You can as Dakotasram he has my first set of headers cuz i didnt get ceramic and they crapped out after a year. Now i have ceramic......im happy.

Old 05-12-2009 | 02:46 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by lastrights
i heard shorties dont really do much , so i was wondering for long tubes, do i have to order some kind of y-pipe , or new cats ???
From what I know headers are pretty much a waste unless it's a true dual. Since your still bottle necked at the cat. Better off getting a high flow cat and awesome cat back system, just my opinion.

Old 05-12-2009 | 02:58 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 97black_ram
From what I know headers are pretty much a waste unless it's a true dual. Since your still bottle necked at the cat. Better off getting a high flow cat and awesome cat back system, just my opinion.
Very not true, well your right about the bottle neck at the cat but theres an even bigger bottle neck at your heads with those headers. When i put shorties on, i noticed a differenced in the upper end. Theyre not a waste, just as always and with everything, youll noticed your parts more when you compliment them with others. Theres a really nice difference with my high flow cant and exhauste. But headers alone, still worth it IMHO.

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:16 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
i noticed a differenced in the upper end. Theyre not a waste, just as always and with everything, youll noticed your parts more when you compliment them with others. Theres a really nice difference with my high flow cant and exhauste. But headers alone, still worth it IMHO.
But don't you lose a little bottom end since there's a little less back pressure?

I'll agree the top end would be improved because of higher flow capability with headers.

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:23 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 97black_ram
But don't you lose a little bottom end since there's a little less back pressure?

I'll agree the top end would be improved because of higher flow capability with headers.
I cant really comment on that im not sure. But I can say this, from my experience and from what others have said here. If there is a loss of low end from shorties, then its not enough to be noticable, at least not to me. I think my headers were a good investment....once i got ceramic.

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:45 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i got normal non coated shorties...and as mowhawk stated, it did improve my highend. lowend is barely noticeable.

Old 05-12-2009 | 05:45 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I have longtubes with no cat and dual exhaust after the muffler. In my opinion the top end gain is very noticable and there was no loss to low end. In all of the research that I did before I bought the headers I found that there was no such thing as good back pressure. There is such a thing as running an exhaust that is to big for your motor. For example my setup is pacesetter longtubes with a paces setter y-pipe. The y-pipe is 3" the muffler is single in dual out. The duals are 2 1/4. Why didn't I run 3" dual exhast. Well first it wouldn't fit. Second 3" single exhaust is just a hair to big for a 360 and definetly to big for a 318. So having dual 3" would be way way to much. It's not back pressure you should be worried about it is gas temp and velocity. As the gas cools down it slows down. By slowing down it will slow down the gas behind it and you will loose whatever benifts you have from long tube pipes or even just having a good exhaust setup. Ideally I should have run 3" single exhaust. That way there is less surface area to cool off the exhaust but, dual exhaust looks better.

Here is another point on headers. They are a waste of time if they are the only thing that you do to your truck. They will give you a slight increase if thats all you do. However if you have already done other things then the slight increase will be much more. I think that headers are perfect starting point. Then work on the intake. Then work on the heads. After all of that move on to a stroker kit.

Old 05-13-2009 | 01:52 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ICEMAN_CH
I have longtubes with no cat and dual exhaust after the muffler. In my opinion the top end gain is very noticable and there was no loss to low end. In all of the research that I did before I bought the headers I found that there was no such thing as good back pressure. There is such a thing as running an exhaust that is to big for your motor. For example my setup is pacesetter longtubes with a paces setter y-pipe. The y-pipe is 3" the muffler is single in dual out. The duals are 2 1/4. Why didn't I run 3" dual exhast. Well first it wouldn't fit. Second 3" single exhaust is just a hair to big for a 360 and definetly to big for a 318. So having dual 3" would be way way to much. It's not back pressure you should be worried about it is gas temp and velocity. As the gas cools down it slows down. By slowing down it will slow down the gas behind it and you will loose whatever benifts you have from long tube pipes or even just having a good exhaust setup. Ideally I should have run 3" single exhaust. That way there is less surface area to cool off the exhaust but, dual exhaust looks better.

Here is another point on headers. They are a waste of time if they are the only thing that you do to your truck. They will give you a slight increase if thats all you do. However if you have already done other things then the slight increase will be much more. I think that headers are perfect starting point. Then work on the intake. Then work on the heads. After all of that move on to a stroker kit.
Exactly, its not backpressure thats the concern (thats the wrong term), its the gas velocity that is the issue. Either to small/constricted or too large/free flowing and you loose benefits and horsepower.

Old 05-13-2009 | 10:06 AM
lastrights
|
Grand Champion

cool thanks guys, im not looking for it too be louder just a slight change in sound, im sure it will change the note to better,from having manifolds on.

having the cutout for strieghts is awesome , im just curious to see how the cutout will sound with headers.

plus i want to finish the headers and start saving for a gears

Quick Reply: long tubes headers