2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TPS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
iac- unbolt it with it still plugged in and have someone turn the truck on (don't start it, just turn the key to "on") and the pintile should move in and out, if it doesn't it is stuck could try cleaning it with some TB cleaner (unplug it and clean off the truck). don't twist/push/pull the pintile or it will break.
I've read this several times, and it is not true. At least, not for 2001 model years. Not sure who originally stated it.

I've had mine to on, off, on, off, on (literally that many times) at one point, and then another hour or two later tried it again... the old IAC and a brand new one didn't move at all. Once the truck started up with the new IAC, it idled high for a second or two, then dropped steadily down to normal.

If Sheriff's MAP test doesn't give you any results, you may also try using a hand vacuum pump (I think thats what they're called). Look on YouTube for "testing MAP" or "MAP sensor test" and you should be able to easily find how to test it.

Last edited by jasonw; 05-14-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gotta call BS on that one. i am right, just research it a little. i wasn't sure how it would move on the last post but i looked it up and found out that it will retract if its good and won't move if its shot. another test you can do is to turn on the ac and if the idle doesn't go up then it needs further testing.

did you get a mopar IAC or and advance or autozone one? for some reason dodges don't like sensors made by anyone other than mopar, and advance and autozone can have a bad one in the box, or sometimes 2 or 3 bad ones in a row. so the reason yours wouldn't move is either that the old and new one are both bad or you have insufficient voltage going to the iac.

turn the ignition on and backprobe your iac with a multimeter on the purple/black wire (+) and the brown/white wire (-) with the meter set on 20v DC. the picture shows the guy testing one wire at a time so i assume he has the negative lead for the meter grounded. don't shove the probes in there too hard, it only takes light pressure to make contact. if you have voltage present then that isn't the issue and you more than likely have a bad IAC. if you don't have voltage then its an electrical issue and i'm not sure how to fix it.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 05-14-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
B0NECRACKER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I have Re-routed the plugs wires, replaced the IAC, TPS and checked the MAP and everything checks out ok cleared the DTC. And Im still havin the same problem and code P0122 still trips.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i turned the ignition to "on" one time with the IAC in my hand and the electrical connector plugged in. the iac motor turned and the pintle extended more and more and more...... and then it fell out. LOL

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 AM
B0NECRACKER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so I think I figured it out when I replaced the cap and rotor there is a plate underneath the rotor that has a magneto on it that must not have been seated right and that was causing a mis-fire which would trip the TPS to have a low volt. So far no problems but im crossing me fingers.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i turned the ignition to "on" one time with the IAC in my hand and the electrical connector plugged in. the iac motor turned and the pintle extended more and more and more...... and then it fell out. LOL
never hear of that happening, bet it was a surprise since its supposed to retract not extend, guess it was just "turned on" by the voltage and being in your hand.

Quick Reply: TPS Problems